Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM

robd1953 is on a distinguished road
Default Issues with video streaming

I have a WNDR3700V2 with Fw V 1.0.0.12. I am using the default settings on the router.

I attached a 500GB Seagate expansion portable drive to the USB port. I attempted to stream video from this drive to a Beyonwiz DP-P2 PVR and media player, which is connected via powerline ethernet and D-link ethernet switch. The performance was very clunky, very jerky and unwatchable. It was not as good as streaming the same video to the Beyonwiz from my PC which is connected to the router via a d-Link wireless g adapter. Best results are with drive connected directly to the Beyonwiz, but that defeats the aim of making the video available over the network. The reason I bought the 3700 was to utilise the usb port for backup and media streaming

Any suggestions for improving the video streaming performance?

thanks, Rob
Old January 15th, 2012, 03:54 PM
NETGEAR Expert

jerry66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Issues with video streaming

I gave up on the USB connection on the router for streaming video , got an N A S , now I can strean all the video I want with no stuttering . Some times I'm streaming to 4 devices with no problems , usb port on router is only good for backup , at least that's my thoughts on it .
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks for that, I am coming to the same conclusion. BTW, what NAS solution did you go for? I am looking at that as an alternative.
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:37 AM
NETGEAR Expert

jerry66 is on a distinguished road

Built my own with parts from my old desktop , AMD dual core , 4 x 2 tb drives , dual GB lan cards and Ubuntu server , fast secure and didn't cost much . Before that ran a Thecus 4100 which was okay for the price , but the power supply died after 1 year
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

eriddler is on a distinguished road

A ReadyNAS Duo works well.
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

SpadeNewsom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1953 View Post
I have a WNDR3700V2 with Fw V 1.0.0.12. I am using the default settings on the router.

I attached a 500GB Seagate expansion portable drive to the USB port. I attempted to stream video from this drive to a Beyonwiz DP-P2 PVR and media player,......................... The reason I bought the 3700 was to utilise the usb port for backup and media streaming

Any suggestions for improving the video streaming performance?

thanks, Rob
Me too. I was looking for the readyshare to do a job for me but appears the USB performance on the 3700 is shithouse and unusable for video. I too have QNAP NAS to do that job (and plenty more beside) now. I am currently trying to back up the usb HDD to my NAS. 1.6 MB/s will have the job completed by some time tomorrow. I should have just plugged the HDD diretly into the NAS and saved me about 10 hours but that would have been too much trouble.

Maybe you could just get an ethernet HDD.
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. For the moment, I am going to use separate usb drives for backup (plugged into the 3700) and video streaming (plugged directly into the media player). Yesterday I bought a new WD 1tb usb drive for backup and have been copying music and video to it directly from my PC for over 24 hours! When's that's done, I will switch the WD to the 3700 and set up some backup routines using Robocopy for the PC and a couple of laptops.

Next time around I will look more at ethernet and NAS solutions (and redundancy!).

thanks again.