Old January 17th, 2012, 08:26 PM

pkeenan23 is on a distinguished road
Default Is it possible to connect an older WGR614 wireless router to new WNDR3800 as wireless

Is it possible to connect an older WGR614 wireless router to new WNDR3800 as wireless internet adapter? I don't have a wired ethernet drop in my basement and I want to connect my Denon AVR receiver to my wireless network. Does anyone know if this is possble? I'd prefer not to buy a new Wireless Internet Adapter. Thanks...
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it possible to connect an older WGR614 wireless router to new WNDR3800 as wire

if WGR614 is not V9 or V10 then you can NOT.

you need extender such as wn2000rpt, wn3000rp
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:11 AM

pkeenan23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it possible to connect an older WGR614 wireless router to new WNDR3800 as wire

Thanks Jim. Do you know if the Wireless Internet Adapter WNCE3001 will work just as well as the range extenders (wn2000rpt, wn3000rp)? I want to leverage 5 GHz channel for streaming video and games.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:05 AM

LynnCoop is on a distinguished road
Default Question about my WGR614v9

Help! I am so new to this forum! I want to start a new discussion, but cannot find out how to even begin, so I am butting in on another discussion (forgive me!). I use my router for a firewall and was wondering why it blocks some of my parish (county, to most of you) library web pages -- I have not listed it on my blocked sites. Is there a way to get around this? Thanks for all help and info you send.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeenan23 View Post
Thanks Jim. Do you know if the Wireless Internet Adapter WNCE3001 will work just as well as the range extenders (wn2000rpt, wn3000rp)? I want to leverage 5 GHz channel for streaming video and games.

NO.. WGR only supports 2.4G only
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

ops.. sorry... I jus woke from nap so I got brain fart.

any of extender will connect to 3800
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

guedesfhp is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Is it possible to connect an older WGR614 wireless router to new WNDR3800 as wire

Hello!

I spent literatly the entire day searching the web and this forum and although it seems to be impossible, I`d like to be certain about it before purchasing a booster.

I moved to a bigger house and had to place my main router in the back where I'm "building up" a small office. The router is actually very good (Linksys WRT160Nv3), the problem is that even with it's good range, I'm not getting a very good signal at the dorms or at the living room.

I have an old NetGear WGR614v10 that's been sitting around and I was wondering if I could use it to "increase the range" of my network without using cables. I was able to configure the WGR614 as a repeater but had to use cables to connect it's LAN port to another LAN port of the Linksys WRT160N(as in this post http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...n-access-point).

It did work great (although the network I was getting was a g, not an n). The problem is that in order to use that setup I'd have to place a cable in between the two routers, and unfortunately that's not an option. I tried inserting Linksys' MAC adress into the NetGear one's configs, making sure that the later was a repeater, had a different IP adress (out of the range of the Linksys router) and had the same SSID, then with different SSID's and many other setups.. no success. My question is, is it possible at all?

If so, I`d really appretiate a "step-by-step" guide as my understanding in english is still problematic. I enphasize, however, that I really wanted to be able to keep the Linksys where it is right now (because other computers are being connected to it through cables) while still getting a good signal at the other side of the house, with no cables.

My second option would be purchasing a range extender, such as Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender and place it near the bedrooms to improve the signal in that area. Is the RE1000 a good option? Are there better options at more affordable prices? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:28 PM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road

No you can not connect wirelessly to the Linksys router at all. You must always use a cable. You need an extender.

However, make these changes in the WRT160N. Disable UPnP. Under wireless settings, Beacon Interval 50, RTS and Fragmentation threshold 2304. Set to channel 1,6 or 11. Save settings. Now check your signal.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have an old NetGear WGR614v10 that's been sitting around and I was wondering if I could use it to "increase the range" of my network without using cables. I was able to configure the WGR614 as a repeater but had to use cables to connect it's LAN port to another LAN port of the Linksys WRT160N(as in this post http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...n-access-point).
This is most common for using ethernet cables

V10 does support WDS which can setup as repeating (two network devices wirelessly connect). Your linksys also MUST support WDS in order make this work
http://vpncasestudy.com/download/WDS/WDS_Concept.pdf

If linksys do not offers WDS (wireless distraction system ) then you will need to buy extender such as wn25000rpt,wn2000rpt,wn3000rp
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

guedesfhp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
No you can not connect wirelessly to the Linksys router at all. You must always use a cable. You need an extender.

However, make these changes in the WRT160N. Disable UPnP. Under wireless settings, Beacon Interval 50, RTS and Fragmentation threshold 2304. Set to channel 1,6 or 11. Save settings. Now check your signal.
Thanks for the tip! Nonetheles, while it increased a little bit the reception in the dorms, I still don't get full signal in some devices. Thank you anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
This is most common for using ethernet cables

V10 does support WDS which can setup as repeating (two network devices wirelessly connect). Your linksys also MUST support WDS in order make this work
http://vpncasestudy.com/download/WDS/WDS_Concept.pdf

If linksys do not offers WDS (wireless distraction system ) then you will need to buy extender such as wn25000rpt,wn2000rpt,wn3000rp
I'll check the Linksys to see if it supports that feature. But if it doesn't, do these NetGear models work fine with the LinkSys router?

Thank you all!