Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 18th, 2012, 12:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

snowjim is on a distinguished road
Default Enable Wireless Isolation vs Guest network?

Hi,

I have bought a Netgear WNR3500L and wounder what the big diffrence is beween setting Enable Wireless Isolation vs Guest network?

The "Wireless Isolation" means that the wirless is isolated from the wired network. And as I understand it the wireless devices will only have access to the internet, nothing more?

What does then guest network offer?
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:53 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Enable Wireless Isolation vs Guest network?

did you read manual?

wireless isolation are feature blocking wireless device to prevent access to wired devices
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

snowjim is on a distinguished road

The manual states :

Quote:
Wireless Isolation. Select this check box only if you want to prevent wireless connections to the router.
This sounds like it will not be posssible at all to connect to the router with a wireless device?

But I have tried it and my Phone do get IP from the router and internets works just fine. When trying to access one of the computers on the wires it will however be a nogo as you said.

Now, the guest network do also seemse to give only access to internet to guests but this do also apply when connecting on the wirre(not only wirless.

So in my case, I am only using the wireless for phones and these devices do only need access to internet so the first(Wireless Isolation) option sounds right
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

benjosevilla is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Enable Wireless Isolation vs Guest network?

I have the 3800 for a week now. I played around with the guest network option. If I connect my laptop wirelessly using the guest network, I can only connect to the Internet but not to my internal network shares nor connect to the router (http://192.168.1.1) as expected. Once I change connection to the non-guest network, I can connect to the network shares and to the router for administration and of course the Internet. I am not sure what wireless isolation will provide as my guest network seem to provide all the isolation I need for guests in my network. Am I missing something?
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:48 PM

Telxon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
did you read manual?

wireless isolation are feature blocking wireless device to prevent access to wired devices
Did you learn manners?

Seriously, snowjim obviously *did* read the manual from his device and had a concise question about a page in the manual that isn't so clearly written. The manual clearly does not describe wireless isolation properly. Instead it makes it look like wireless clients would not be able to reach the router at all.

From a different model Netgear manual (which *is* accurate): "Wireless Isolation: This feature is disabled by default. If it is enabled, wireless stations cannot communicate with each other or with stations on the wired network."

@jmizoguchi: Most of your posts on this forum are terse at best. Perhaps you should not be "assisting" on this forum at all, but rather be in another department.
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

No one works for netgesar so if don't like it then leave as you wish

You will not hurt my feeling and I have tons of happy people so I would careless or no productive post

I would watch your next reply you do with your manner can be ban from the from unless you can post question to an issues and post rant

Remember you started the rant and not me.

Recommendation is for you to post productive post or go elsewhere

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:41 PM

UnixKorn is on a distinguished road

Very good question, one I have seen a number of times. Isolation provides a filter block for a wireless connected laptop / device to access point to insure it only allows the IP/stream to flow to router and out to Internet and back. You could not connect to other laptops or devices connected via wireless or connect to your router administratively using wireless. Keeps other wireless machines from capturing your packets (somewhat) on networks. Also blocks you from access any wired machines packets which limits your diagnostic capability. You probably can get to a WPS printer with UPNP despite isolation but I have seen it create issues.

UnixKorn.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM

Idontgetit is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Enable Wireless Isolation vs Guest network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixKorn View Post
Isolation provides a filter block for a wireless connected laptop / device to access point to insure it only allows the IP/stream to flow to router and out to Internet and back. You could not connect to other laptops or devices connected via wireless or connect to your router administratively using wireless. Keeps other wireless machines from capturing your packets (somewhat) on networks.
UnixKorn.
So I enabled Wireless Isolation on my guest network as I help fix pc's from my home. However my android phone using an app called "Fing" can still see the ip's and the manufacturer of the other devices on my private network. Is that the way it is supposed to be? I can see but not communicate?
Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

You should not able to access it. Discovering network with app vs trying to access the resource is different thing

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy