Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Adapters > RangeMax Next Adapters

Old January 20th, 2012, 07:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Valenni is on a distinguished road
Default NETGEAR WN3000RP Universal WiFi Range Extender

NETGEAR WN3000RP Universal WiFi Range Extender

Hi all

Wonder if someone can lend their expertise for this question / problem.

I have a Netgear N750 (BT infinity) which is great, but the wireless range is poor toward my kitchen, so I bought a NETGEAR WN3000RP Universal WiFi Range Extender.

It was easy to setup, used the WPS function and it matched my SSID / WPS settings without any problems.

But!!

It creates the same SSID only with _EXT added, which means its a seperate wireless broadcast that needs setup with my Android handsets / tablets.

The problem is, my tablet latches onto the router SSID, and hangs onto it even with 1 bar and wont goto the _EXT signal which is strong.

How do I extend my wireless network using the same SSID and making the signal seamless throughout the house? (Without having to seperate networks)

Sorry for the long winded post, but it's the only way I can articulate the problem.

Thanks

Val
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: NETGEAR WN3000RP Universal WiFi Range Extender

Anybody? :-)
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Please help anyone, I can't get this working right, I hate having two networks in my house!!
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:19 AM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road

You you tried loging into the exteneder and manually changing the SSID????
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
You you tried loging into the exteneder and manually changing the SSID????
Ahh, so if I change the SSID to the same as my router, will that merge them? (effectively removing the _EXT)

I will try that then.

Thanks for the reply.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:12 AM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road

Basically yes. Same SSID, just make sure the are on different channels, like 1 & 6, 1 & 11 or 6 & 11.
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ok thanks my friend! I will try that now!
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
Basically yes. Same SSID, just make sure the are on different channels, like 1 & 6, 1 & 11 or 6 & 11.
Well I changed the SSID but there is no option in the menu to change the channel, so I changed the router to Channel 2 but the wireless extender also changed to Channel 2. Any ideas?
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:24 PM

EvoXevO is on a distinguished road

1. You cannot change the channel, there is only one radio onboard so whatever channel it's listening to from the router side, is the same channel it has to be on when it tramit signal acting as extender.

2. In theory that extenders will work correctly when it's sitting on the edge of signal from the router device. Implementation by different manufacturers yield different result. At the end of the day, I find even the latest product release of extenders still battling issues similar to what you are experiencing. This is referring to retail, consumer-class products, not covering enterprise products or anything that you cannot purchase at your local Fry's/Best Buy.

3. Try position your router in a different location if possible.

4. I'm used to multiple SSID in my house since I usually have around anywhere between 4-6 routers running simutaniously and swapping for new ones every month or two. I do the same in my office with maybe some setup or component devices (NAS, adapters, media players, etc) different between the two place. My point is that...well... if you are able to interconnect two far point using stuff like PowerLine or MoCA in your house to achieve full-coverage of wireless signal with another AP/router at the other end (while avoiding intereference with channels used), may be your easy way out as playing with stuff like antenna will be more painful when everything is said and done plus when you look at the effectiveness afterall...
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:02 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXevO View Post
1. You cannot change the channel, there is only one radio onboard so whatever channel it's listening to from the router side, is the same channel it has to be on when it tramit signal acting as extender.

2. In theory that extenders will work correctly when it's sitting on the edge of signal from the router device. Implementation by different manufacturers yield different result. At the end of the day, I find even the latest product release of extenders still battling issues similar to what you are experiencing. This is referring to retail, consumer-class products, not covering enterprise products or anything that you cannot purchase at your local Fry's/Best Buy.

3. Try position your router in a different location if possible.

4. I'm used to multiple SSID in my house since I usually have around anywhere between 4-6 routers running simutaniously and swapping for new ones every month or two. I do the same in my office with maybe some setup or component devices (NAS, adapters, media players, etc) different between the two place. My point is that...well... if you are able to interconnect two far point using stuff like PowerLine or MoCA in your house to achieve full-coverage of wireless signal with another AP/router at the other end (while avoiding intereference with channels used), may be your easy way out as playing with stuff like antenna will be more painful when everything is said and done plus when you look at the effectiveness afterall...

Thanks Evo

Since I changed the SSID to the same as the router everything seems to be working seamlessly! Full coverage without having to swap between router / extender manually!