Old January 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

MikeyUK86 is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3700v2 hangs

Hi Guys, had this router for a few weeks and has been fine uptill this last week, now sometimes the webpage im on can hang for around 30 seconds and then time out, and i have to hit the refresh button to access the webpage i want.

im guessing its the router as i didn't have this problem with my D Link, and it seems to happen on both wired and wireless 5G and starting to annoy me!

I have the latest firmware etc, so im stuck!

It seems to be a common problem, so im kinda shocked Netgear haven't fixed it as of yet.

Any help would be great
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
NETGEAR Expert

KevTech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR3700v2 hangs

Were you checking firmware through the GUI?

If so you may not have the latest.

http://support.netgear.com/app/produ...del/a_id/17703
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTech View Post
Were you checking firmware through the GUI?

If so you may not have the latest.

http://support.netgear.com/app/produ...del/a_id/17703
Hi, it seems i do have the latest version according to the link you provided (1.0.0.12)

is there anything else i can try?

Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:43 AM
NETGEAR User

Tank_Killer is on a distinguished road

did you perform a factory setting restore after you flashed?
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_Killer View Post
did you perform a factory setting restore after you flashed?
Hi, i done this a few hours ago, and so far so good, but im not holding my breath as it seems to be a common problem!

will report back in a few days.

Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi Guys

Sorry for bringing my old topic back up, but this same problem has come back to haunt me!

be running fine for months and now all of sudden, the connection keeps dropping every half hour to hour or so, and im having to keep rebooting the router!

Firmware version is, V1.0.0.12 which according to the router is the latest.

tried factory reset and it still doesnt seem to fix the problem.

Any idea's?
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Anybody? Surely someone else has had a similar problem?

just re flashed the firmware and rebooted and still, the problem remains.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Your listing two different problems.

1) Web pages time out and you have to keep refreshing to make them work.
2) Yor WiFi is dropping and you need to restart the unit for it to connect.

When web pages are not loading try browsing to the router webpage, does it load?..

If the issue is still related to #1 then have you tried using a 3rd party DNS. This is not ideal I know, but it is worth a try. This would not do anything to help a dropping signal.

Not ideal for this either, but, have you tried updating the wifi driver in the laptop. If you are having this trouble on multiple laptops (all different) or multiple wifi devices then this is not likely a problem.

If the issue is related to #2 then have you tried running something like InSSider to see what sort of levels the router is showing?...

In relation to #1....
When problems go away and come back (weeks at a time) it could be a good indication of an ISP related problem or hardware falure due to environmental changes (read heat). Usually faulty componets get worse over time and failure rates will slowly increase, so something that may happen once a day turns into twice a day, then 10 times a day, then constantly.. So other than the unit getting hot then I would be tempted to say not a general hardware failure. Have you checked signal levels in your isp's equipment..

If you cant not browse web pages, BUT you can browse the web page for the router config then try to go to the webpage for yor modem config. If that loads then I would say it is firmly a ISP related issue.

In relation to #2....
Hardware failures can still happen as above (#1) but this will obviously not be an ISP issue. Multiple devices will help you hone down the problem. If the signal level for the router is droppnig and you can confirm it for multiple devices then it points to the router having a fault (that will likely get worse).

In relation to #3..... (you didnt have a number 3) Let us call it 1+2 then :P..
Disable logging in the rotuer and see if that helps. Do you do a lot of p2p or filesharing, even p2p heavy networks like BitConin may apply. The router has (in the past) been shown to bog down for some people when the log files are getting full, p2p can do that. Also p2p will open a LOT of ports and it is possible (but unlikely) that this could be causing issues.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi, Thanks for the reply i will try disabling logging, and i will clear up my problem.

my router seems to lose internet connection, i can access the config page, and the only way to get the internet connection back is by either turning the modem off at the wall for a few seconds and then back on or by going into the router status page then pressing release and then renew.

The drop outs happen on both wired and wireless devices and i cant update drivers as im using a macbook pro and iMac as well as iPads and iPhones.

I dont think it could be ISP related as im not needing to reboot my modem to get the internet connection back.

Sorry for if i made it sound confusing.

This problem is really starting to annoy me, and its not even a year old.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:07 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Right, so lets delve a bit deeper into things.

When the 3700 has a loss of connection you can log into the admin pages, but rebooting fixes things. This sounds like there has been one of two things.
1) The DHCP lease has expired or been lost.
2) There is a loss of connectivity between the 3700 and the modem/isp.

The iPads and iPhones will have good(ish) drivers so that rules out wireless drive issues. What we need to do is look at the WAN and see if it is either a loss of connectivity or the DHCP problem. Depending on how your modem is set you can get these problems (and I can not offer a fix)..

Is this a DSL service?... If so could you provide the following.

1) When the connection is working what is the first part of the IP you get frmo yor isp. That is, If the IP is something like 84.56.15.5 then just say 84.xxx.

2) When the connection is not working then what is the fist part of the IP, and if it is 192.xxx then does the IP look similar to the one that you use to access the modem configuration pages.

3) Will unplugging the ethernet pot from the WAN part of the route rand plugging it back in fix the issue for a short while (My guess is yes, and if you say no then it is gonig to stump me) :P...

The first question will tell us if the connectino is in bridge mode or route rmode, but listing the type of modem could still be useful.

It is important to note that a modem may continue to operate even when the DHCP server that the customer uses goes down, if that happens then there is usually a connectivity loss. To get around those connectivity issues an ISP will usually force-reboot all hardware on those lines. I have had this problem only once or twice before and cant say (for me) it was issue enough to even worry about who to blame.

The second question may answer why the router fails to try to get a new IP, it is in relation to the DHCP issue, but some modems will have a short window where a DHCP server responds and you end up with the rotuer seeing a 7 day lease but no internet connectivity.

The third question will be useful in showing that this fault does tie in with other faults.

Assuming that unplugging and replugging does fix the problem and that the modem is in bridge mode, then the only quick fix suggestions I would have (and bear in mind that I dont know your exact hardware nor have yor problems so there may be a simple fix!) would be to put the modem back into "router" mode if it allows it and then put the 3700 in as either a AP or as a DMZ device. Both of those choices comes with drawbacks but it shouldnt harm network throughput.