Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:54 AM

captain52 is on a distinguished road
Default Windows Vista wants to install WNDR 3800 driver

I have been using by WNDR 3800 for about a month now. All of a sudden, yesterday I got the "Found New Hardware" dialog box on one of my machines on my LAN:
"Windows needs to install driver software for your NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router-Premium Edit. WNDR3800"

Then it gives me the options: "Locate and install driver software...", "Ask me again later...", "Don't show this message again..."

Had this happened a month ago, I might have blindly clicked OK to install the driver. But now, I am suspicious. Should I install the driver? What triggered this message after using the router for so long?

Please help. Thank you.

PS: I not only use the router, I also use the ReadyShare. A Seagate external hard drive is connected to it.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

SFRJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Vista wants to install WNDR 3800 driver

I installed it on win7, wanted to see whats up i see nothing special
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:54 AM

WiseOkole1 is on a distinguished road

Did you ever get an answer to your question about Windows wanting to install drivers for your Netgear router? I am receiving the same notice.

Did you install the drivers?

Gary
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM

CharlieKatz is on a distinguished road

I hate when that happens. Someone installs a driver and they disappear from the face of the earth.
It's like a Patterson serial killer novel.

I uh would think twice before installing it.

But then again - isn't this the place where someone from NetGear steps in and explains to us why it should or shouldn't be necessary ? Don't engineers get assigned to watch the User blogs anymore ? Please don't leave us subject to people who can't spell, nor understand grammar, nor keep one train of thought for more than half a sentence and half ignore whatever we ask.

As a newbie who is not yet ready to install the device, I thought I'd read the forum to get a feeling of how scary this product will be. I've found a lot of strings that are positive but this string seems to have been avoided by engineering. As a former software engineer it makes me wonder if they are afraid to say anything either way. What they could be doing is contacting Windows to find out if they issued the warning due to a new standard that they imposed without telling the world - or which NetGear simply hasn't had time or people to respond to. But NGers please say something, right ?
(You probably worked with me at HP/Compaq/Dec in a former life - have pity)

Peace,
Charlie
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

forum is not support so likely to have answered by support is at minimum. Time to time in rare occasion they do but at any rate if you want word from support then contact via portal using my.netgear.com and open trouble ticket.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

D_a_n_B is on a distinguished road

I got this message this week all of a sudden after using the router for 8 months. Strange.