Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

wildfire76 is on a distinguished road
Default Help blocking internet access after certain time.....

I recently bought the WNDR4500 after our old netgear router stopped working. Here is the situation - we setup live parental controls through netgear/openDNS because our children have a hard time going to bed and staying in bed. They'd be online all night if they could! The son is the worst with xBox. So I set the parental controls to block all sections after 2am until 7am so they'd be able to sleep. My problem is my son informed me, rather happily, that he's able to get around the block by using proxies. He says the xbox uses proxies, so he can still play via xbox live even after the internet is supposed to be turned off.

I am aware that the simple solution would be to just unplug the internet, however there are times I am awake after that time and need the internet. We use the bypass accounts.

Are there any settings in the firewall I can use to block him from being able to use the proxies? I'm not even sure if he is using the correct terminology here. I just want to be able to disable xbox live so he's not able to get online and play. He doesn't like playing alone, so he will sleep instead of playing by himself.

Thank you!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:58 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help blocking internet access after certain time.....

download wireshark and log what traffic is generated and try to block it's proxies IP/ports
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Rhyalus is on a distinguished road

I would try this:

Under Advanced / LAN settings, use address reservation to FORCE an assigned IP address to the XBOX. (you will need the MAC address which you can find under connected devices)

This way the XBOX is always getting a particular IP address when it connects to the router.

Then, under Advanced / Security, use Block Services to block all ports (TCP / UDP) from port 1 to port 65535 per the schedule for the XBOX IP. You can also specify a range of IP addresses in case you do this with more than one device.

Set the schedule in the same Security section.

Let us know if this works out for you.

R
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
I would try this:

Under Advanced / LAN settings, use address reservation to FORCE an assigned IP address to the XBOX. (you will need the MAC address which you can find under connected devices)

This way the XBOX is always getting a particular IP address when it connects to the router.

Then, under Advanced / Security, use Block Services to block all ports (TCP / UDP) from port 1 to port 65535 per the schedule for the XBOX IP. You can also specify a range of IP addresses in case you do this with more than one device.

Set the schedule in the same Security section.

Let us know if this works out for you.

R
Thank you for your help. I have configured it as you described. Now to wait for tonight to see if it works! I will let you know how it works! Thanks again!
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:50 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

The above solution worked, but only if I rebooted the router (which I did from the advanced screen). It knocked him off the computer and xbox and once it reconnected, he couldn't get on, but I was able to use the internet like I normally would.

I like this solution better, as I don't have to block everything in the house after 2am.

Any idea why they're still able to connect after 2am unless I knock them off first?
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Rhyalus is on a distinguished road

I suppose netgear could have a bug that opened ports stay opened even at the start time..

So this happens every night? Once 2am comes the XBOX still has open access until you close him out?

This should be reported...

R
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes - if he is online gaming or whatever, he is still able to access the internet after 2am. I have checked the time zone - it's set correctly. The router shows my time.

It's interesting, though - I checked it today just now. He's playing a game and I shut him off. Changed the Block Services from "schedule" to "always". Internet traffic stopped immediately (and I heard him yell about the internet). So it works that way. Just the time delay doesn't.

I will try it again tonight and see what happens before I report it to NetGear. I just thought I might have been doing something wrong.

Thanks!
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Wherewolf is on a distinguished road

Are you sure your time is set correctly on the router? I had a lot of trouble getting the router to contact the default NTP server. But you probably already checked that. If your timezone is incorrect then the scheduling is off by the same amount.....
Wherewolf
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:43 AM

Mike20878 is on a distinguished road

Just found this thread and I think it's exactly what I need to block my kids' access at night. No Xbox here, just iPad and iPhone. I first tested it by keeping the default of "all day" on and he was unable to get online. Should a start time of 22:00 and and end time of 7:00 work? There was another thread talking about a problem with the 24 hour clock.

Thanks.
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

onebyside is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20878 View Post
Just found this thread and I think it's exactly what I need to block my kids' access at night. No Xbox here, just iPad and iPhone. I first tested it by keeping the default of "all day" on and he was unable to get online. Should a start time of 22:00 and and end time of 7:00 work? There was another thread talking about a problem with the 24 hour clock.

Thanks.
I have 22.00 and 7.00 on the router for my family ps3...works fine