Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old February 21st, 2012, 06:59 AM

nphudd is on a distinguished road
Default 5 GHz channel does not appear

I have set up my new N600 router and it seems to be functioning OK - the 2.4 GHz green light is on and the 5 GHz blue light is on and I am accessing the internet via the 2.4 GHz channel. The 5 GHz channel, however, does not exist as far as any of the wireless devices in the house are concerned. My laptop, my old laptop, my printer, all show the 2.4 channel and also, as usual, all the wireless networks in the area (my neighbours). But the 5GHz does not exist as far as any search for local networks is concerned. The blue light is constantly on, not flashing, the 2.4 is fine and gives me a connection. Why no 5GHz among the "available wireless networks" on Windows 7 64 bit and on XP (the old laptop)??
Nick Hudd (Kent UK)
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 GHz channel does not appear

you must have dual band wireless adapter on pc or other wifi device to use 5Ghz
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:39 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road

I have experienced this a couple of times in the past, where one or the other channel wasn't broadcast.

Firstly do ensure that you have the latest firmware version installed (v1.0.0.17 or one of the beta versions).

Next navigate to the following pages:
http://www.routerlogin.net/RST_status.htm
http://www.routerlogin.net/RST_statistics.htm

Do they show if the channel is being broadcast? I found this wasn't the case with one of the screens when mine was playing up.

I had to power cycle the router to resolve the issue.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

adrenalize is on a distinguished road

You could try a couple of things to see if you have 5GHz kit if you're not sure.

You could try a program like inSSIDer and it should show tabs at the top of the graphs for 2.4 & 5GHz if your laptop can do it.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

You could change the name of the 5GHz SSID so that it is obvious which is which in Windows.

You could look in your device manager and have a look at the networking section and see what wireless adapter you have - some actually say 802.11a/b/g/n - you are looking for one with 'a' for 5GHz. Otherwise google the adapter if it only gives the name.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:41 AM

nphudd is on a distinguished road

Apologies for my lack of response, to those who responded to my problem - I have been out of action (back trouble - not a new problem). Even with a laptop, it is not easy to sort complex issues while flat on the back!!
The issue becomes stranger. I have switched on for the first time in weeks my old laptop - runs Win XP and only used for astronomy purposes now. I switched on to ensure update of security software etc as it hadn't been used for weeks. That very old laptop immediately identified the 5 GHz channel from the router, but the signal does not seem any stronger than I used to get from an N300. Other devices (including my iPhone and the new Win 7 64 bit computer) pick up all the local wireless networks, but not my own 5 GHz.
I'm doing something wrong but I cannot figure what.
Nick Hudd
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:32 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Could I suggest the following?:
  1. Back up all your current settings
  2. Press the Reset button for 10 seconds
  3. Restore your current settings

If that fails, redownload the most recent firmware version (v1.0.0.17, unless you are on a Beta firmware). Install it on your router, then repeat steps 2 & 3 above.
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

adrenalize is on a distinguished road

Off the top of my head i think iPhones are only 2.4GHz capable. As for your new Win 7 laptop are you able to check if the wifi card supports 5GHz? Not all cards do.

5GHz will (due to the physics of radio waves) give a weaker signal at further distances from the router than 2.4GHz. The advantage is that very few people use 5GHz at the moment so there is less interference with other signals.
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:46 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalize View Post
Off the top of my head i think iPhones are only 2.4GHz capable. As for your new Win 7 laptop are you able to check if the wifi card supports 5GHz? Not all cards do.
Well spotted. The iPhone 4S does not support 5GHz, only 2.4GHz. http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

The iPad 2 does support both 2.4 & 5GHz channels, although I'm not so sure about the iPad (v1).
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:20 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Correct. iPhone does not support 5ghz.

OP- Knowing which products supports both band will be your first steps. You would be wasting your valuable time.

Quote:
5GHz will (due to the physics of radio waves) give a weaker signal at further distances from the router than 2.4GHz. The advantage is that very few people use 5GHz at the moment so there is less interference with other signals.
Correct as well. Indeed if you live in "saturated" area you may want to use 5Ghz on some devices to precent from interferences as 5Ghz offers more channel prevent the issues with other wireless routers.

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:04 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
Well spotted. The iPhone 4S does not support 5GHz, only 2.4GHz. http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

The iPad 2 does support both 2.4 & 5GHz channels, although I'm not so sure about the iPad (v1).
Ipad 1
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP580

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy