Old February 24th, 2012, 12:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jeffrey87 is on a distinguished road
Default Adjust wireless transmit power

Yesterday I picked up a WNDR4500 router, and so far I am really satisfied with it compared to my previous router from one of Netgear's major competitors.

I installed the latest beta firmware on the device, which seems to work pretty stable, but there is just one feature that I am missing, which is the ability the adjust the wireless transmit power.

As I am living in quite a small house, I don't really need the big wireless range that this router has. Now my WiFi network is still visible up to 40 meters outside of my house.

I don't know where to do feature request, so I am posting it here. Will it be possible to add option to change the wireless transmit power, for example in percentages, like 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%?
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Chuck_s is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adjust wireless transmit power

Pretty sure my 3400 and maybe 3700 could set power output but, like you, I can't find a setting in my 4500.

-- Chuck
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

z3540 is on a distinguished road

Had that setting option on the WNDR3700. Can't find it in the 4500 either.
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

StratmanX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey87 View Post
Yesterday I picked up a WNDR4500 router, and so far I am really satisfied with it compared to my previous router from one of Netgear's major competitors.

I installed the latest beta firmware on the device, which seems to work pretty stable, but there is just one feature that I am missing, which is the ability the adjust the wireless transmit power.

As I am living in quite a small house, I don't really need the big wireless range that this router has. Now my WiFi network is still visible up to 40 meters outside of my house.

I don't know where to do feature request, so I am posting it here. Will it be possible to add option to change the wireless transmit power, for example in percentages, like 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%?
There is no firmware setting for this function currently.

If you want, you could turn off SSID broadcasting in the firmware. While this will make your router's SSID's hidden from simple snooping, a hacker with a modicum of knowledge can still circumvent this. Strong password - what Netgear call "Network Key" - plus the highest security setting possible - hopefully WPA2 - should keep you safe from prying eyes.

See GRC's Password Haystack to test password security or let GRC generate a Perfect Password for you. I prefer to make my own and see the strength according to GRC.

You can open a ticket about your request at my.netgear.com. This forum is user driven. I don't know how much Netgear Tech Support monitors the forum but they rarely answers questions in the forum.
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

I find devices like my iPhones will not pick up the wifi id the SSID is turned off. With a good security setting and password I see no security issues, especially of the router PIN is disabled.

My little laptop running issider will pick up at least a dozen of my neighbor's wireless signals. We're on minimum half acre lots here and there are less houses on my street than I pickup.

-- Chuck
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well the reason isn't just that others might be able to pick up my WiFi signal, but I've experienced with other routers that reducing the transmit power might also significantly reduce the router's power consumption,
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

TwoOneOh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey87 View Post
Well the reason isn't just that others might be able to pick up my WiFi signal, but I've experienced with other routers that reducing the transmit power might also significantly reduce the router's power consumption,
Usually DD-WRT a third party firmware includes this as an option among other things. Now i could be wrong but i believe the power consumption will not change regardless of usage.
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoOneOh View Post
Usually DD-WRT a third party firmware includes this as an option among other things. Now i could be wrong but i believe the power consumption will not change regardless of usage.
I am afraid you are wrong, because I measured power consumption with my previous routers, using a Kill-a-Watt meter, and it dropped by 1 to 2 watts when reducing the wireless power.

It isn't a lot, but considering the kWh prices here in The Netherlands (0.23/kWh) it might save you some bucks.
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

If you guys in Holland were just inflating your tires and getting regular tuneups you wouldn't need to fret over a watt or two.

-- Chuck
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

StratmanX is on a distinguished road

Or they could just take a pain pill when the bill arrives.