Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old March 6th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Redibo is on a distinguished road
Default WNR3500L periodically losing connection with internet

Hi!

I'm new, and now quite frustrated user to this forum. I've tried googling and solving this issue by the tips I found on various forums but nothing has really helped. I own a WNR3500L that I bought just before christmas. I set it up and everything worked fine, I then left the apartment and it for a trip to my family. I connected to my FTP and RDC now and then to check how things were going, and this worked well for about two weeks, then it suddenly stopped working. When I got back two weeks after that, I found that both my computers got the message "Limited or no access to internet" in Windows. I rebooted the router, and it worked fine for a few days, but after that I got the same problem every day.

Basically, what happens is that everything works fine, everything is smooth, fast, stable, you name it, even during quite heavy load, I'm on 100/100 and use it quite much at times. However, typically somewhere between 23:30-01:30, all computers connected to the router looses the ability to connect to internet. I still reach all other computers and the router, basically everyhing within the LAN, but nothing outside. Can't ping DNS-servers, nothing. This sometimes occur between 09:00-11:00 as well, but not as frequently. So, what I've tried so far is the following:

Changed from standard Netgear firmware to DD-WRT and yesterday Tomato in one last desperate attempt, nothing helped, the same behaviour.

Added exceptions in the firewall to make sure that the router gets a new lease from the ISP every 6:th hour (12 hour lease time). Didn't help, diasble the firewall didn't help, and these problems might occour with anywhere between 12 and 6 hours left of the lease time.

Disabled the wireless network. No difference.

Deattached my FTP/Torrent-server. No difference.

Changed to level 3 DNS, as well as a few others, among else OpenDNS and GoogleDNS. No difference.

Set static IP and DNS for wired computers and disabled wireless. No difference.

Monitored the RAM and CPU using when the problems occoured.

Updated the drivers for the network cards in all computers, even tried a different network card in the FTP-server, no difference what so ever.

Tried logging using DD-WRT, but couldn't find any patterns, no strange results that I could see, it just suddenly stopped.

The only thing that works: Reboot, detach the cable from my "modem" (a "mediabox" from the fiber company), doing a manual DHCP renew in the router interface. Then it will work for about 24 hours or less before it does the same thing again.

So, any clues? I would be very grateful! Or should I just try to return it to the shop I bought it from and get another one?

With best regards
Christoffer
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jfox3366 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR3500L periodically losing connection with internet

I would just like to verify something. Seems that you had already tried some possible workaround on this issue. Upon experiencing dropping of connection, have you tried bypassing the router and check if you also have active connection through your modem? Can you also please inquire directly through your service provider if your modem has a "keep alive" settings or any settings that could possibly be terminating the connection when long idle times occurs?
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM

slawek1082 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I have netgera wnr3500l with tomato 1.28 and I have same issue on that. Most time everything works fine but 1 or 2 for day router lost connection with internet. I can ping my router from my laptop but I can't ping anything else.
Today I was try to connect my old router and via this old linksys everything works fine.
Have anyone got any idea what could be a reason or what I should test?
If You need some logs or settings, please ask about it. I will put here everything what can help solve problem.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM

blukens is on a distinguished road

I also have the intermittent disconnect issue.
It has happened since I bought the router, about a year ago.
I cannot say there is any regular time or occurance that seems to be co-incident.

I have Comcast HS Internet with VoIP using the Thompson RCA modem. I bought my own modem about three months ago, the same as the Comcast one. No difference in the intermittent connection with different modem.

I just turn the power button off then back on and it immediately connects again.

I just updated to the new firmware so I will let you know if there is any change.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM

unixwizzard is on a distinguished road

I too just recently started experiencing these mysterious disconnections. I am using the WND3500L, firmware version V1.2.2.46_35.0.57SK (this is the SamKnows FCC testing f/w). I had this device since the monitoring program started. I am using Comcast / Xfinity High Speed Internet. Up until 04/06/2012 the cable modem was a Motorola SB5101. On Apr 6th a new modem was installed for the Triple Play package - the new modem is an ARRIS TM722G DOCSIS 3.0 , HW_REV: 3, BOOTR: 1.2.1.25, and SW_REV: 7.4.63A.SIP.PC20.

From April 6 until April 27 everything worked perfect, then suddenly while I was browsing some web pages I lost the connection. Upon logging onto the router under the Connection status it showed an IP address of 0.0.0.0, Subnet of 0.0.0.0, Default Gateway 0.0.0.0, and DNS Server 0.0.0.0 . Meanwhile the indicator lights for the modem were all in the green (literally all the lights were green indicating a normal working connection). I had no connectivity, wired or wireless.

I did a hard powercycle on the modem - removed battery from modem, disconnected power. I also disconnected power to the router. After waiting approx 1 minute I powered up the modem, waited for it to complete the boot cycle. I then applied power to the router. When the router came online it was still showing no address information. Also during these events I am unable to access the modem status pages. Pinging reports the modem as unreachable.

I did this powercycle several times, I also tried changing the router's MAC address - used the default, tried a manual entry and I also tried cloning the PC's MAC address. Each one failed.

I tried reloading the latest firmware, and finally I did a 30-30-30 reset of the router back to factory defaults, and upon completion of the power-on cycle still no IP address. I even tried several ethernet cables including two new patch cables I made myself - no luck.

I then setup and put my old Linksys router in place of the Netgear. The Linksys connected immediately and I once again had IP connectivity.

Here is where it gets strange.. I have a spare PC server, I set that up to act as a DHCP server and connected the Netgear up to that - it immediately picked up the IP, Gateway and DNS addresses. At this point I left it sit with the Linksys connected. The next day I went and reconnected the Netgear back to the cable modem, my intention was to try a few more things - didn't get that far as it connected immediately with good addresses and IP connectivty.

That lasted about 4 hours when again, right in the middle of a browsing session the connection dies - cannot access the modem and router showing no addresses. I did another power cycle.. Shut off modem, did a 30-30-30 reset to router, brought modem online then router - got IP connectivity. This lasted from Sat night until Monday afternoon when it died again. It doesn't seem to be stable at the moment as these outages are happening more frequently.

It seems that sometimes a reset of the router will bring it back, but sometimes that doesn't work. There is no pattern, no specific time of day. No general length of time between outages. I can't say if they are happening when the system is idle, all these outages have occurred while someone was online and the connection was active.

Comcast of course is clueless - I get the old "we don't support routers" line each and every time. Not sure if it is the modem or they have my account screwed up because since upgrading to this triple play I have had channels come and go.. HBO disappeared one day, C/S says the account was setup wrong.. then I started losing high def channels, C/S tech says the boxes were programmed wrong- the HD box was setup for SD channels, and the SD box was programmed for HD channels. Not sure if that is the case now since I see others reporting the same or similar problem with the WNR3500L being the common denominator.

Any ideas as to what is going on here?
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Computer_User1 is on a distinguished road

5 different posters and several different firmware, all the same problem. Will that be safe to say that something is faulty in the hardware for the WNR3500L router?
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Maetryx is on a distinguished road
Question Re: WNR3500L periodically losing connection with internet

My WNR3500L worked flawlessly for a long time. I think over a year. I originally bought it with the intent of installing a 3rd party firmware, but it worked so well I never bothered.

But in the last few days, it needs to be constantly power cycled. My networked PCs lose internet, and even browsing to 192.168.1.1 is non-responsive. After power cycle, everything is fine. I have done a 30/30/30 reset and it didn't last very long either.

The only thing I feel that I have done different lately is to run the GOG downloader (beta 3.1) heavily because I had purchased many games and decided to install some over the long holiday (US Memorial Day) weekend. But it does not appear to matter if I'm running that or not: the periodic lock up is still occurring.

I have Windows 7 64-bit. I am on Comcast cable internet. I have Netgear's latest firmware installed for the WNR3500L. I have a Linksys CM100 cable modem (and I haven't needed to power cycle it.... just the router). I am not completely useless with networking: I wired my house for gigabit ethernet, for example.

I'm reasonably confident the fault lies in the Netgear router, and it seems my woes started when I started doing a lot of downloading. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Like, should I try a 3rd party router solution like DD-WRT?
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Maetryx is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: WNR3500L periodically losing connection with internet

After doing a lot of googling and reading, I now think that the problem was related to uPnP and uTorrent. I found another forum where a person's router would lock up when he ran uTorrent 3.0 and the problem was fixed when he disabled uPnP. (He had the problem with both uTorrent and bitcomet, but at first he just blames uTorrent in general.)

http://forum.xbitlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19109

This isn't wholly satisfactory because I've been running uTorrent non-stop for weeks (I seed stuff pretty much in perpetuity, especially if it has only 1.00 availability). But this weekend I added some gnarly large downloads (FLAC discography stuff).

So I think the router freezing was really a combo of some or all of the following: heavy traffic, uTorrent 3.0 uPnP, several multi-gigabyte torrents added at once.

When I thought the problem was solely due to heavy net traffic, I turned stuff off. That seemed to work. So I started to add things back. Amazon Cloud Drive client. GoG Downloader. No problems. But before I fired up uTorrent 3.0 I read that link above. Instead of rushing headlong into another crash, I updated uTorrent to latest version (3.1.3).

For a real test, I should have ran uTorrent 3.0 again and made sure I crashed the router, but I was tired of losing internet so I committed troubleshooting blasphemy and skipped the part where I reproduce the error on purpose. Maybe later I'll atone for my sins by rerunning the old client and mortifying my router.

No matter what happens, I'll make it a point to come back in here and report on it. Maybe I'll even fire up 3.0 and make sure I hang the router with it....
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Drives is on a distinguished road

I have a very simular problem, but with a WNDR3400v2. I was using it when all of a sudden no internet. It thinks it's connected, and the readyshare and lan work prefectly but no internet. Is it dead???
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dhinged is on a distinguished road

This has been happening to me several times a week since I bought it a year ago. Overnight, my phone and/or my laptop will lose internet connectivity, even though they can still ping the router or other devices on the network. I've found nothing in the log files or settings or troubleshooting software to find the problem. It seems I have to be there monitoring the logs when it happens to catch it (an 8-hour window).

If I unplug the router and just use straight modem internet, the attached device doesn't have a problem for the whole week. It seems to be the router, period.

There has to be some way to troubleshoot this.