Old March 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM

milhaz is on a distinguished road
Default how to find WEP or WPA key

I have the latest firmware on 4000. I need to connect another desktop PC wirelessly to the router. The installation SW is asking to enter WEP or WPA keys. How do I find them? Thanks
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how to find WEP or WPA key

read manual

support.netgear.com and find your router model

login the router and/or some model now has DEFAULT pass bottom of the router , if not login the router and find/update etc.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM

milhaz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I always read the manual and read this one several times. Can you tell me on what page I can find the information and how to access the WEP key?? Sorry for the frustration.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Devor is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what installation software you are referring to, as neither the router or the computer needs software to be installed. Unless you are referring to the drivers, but it's doubtful that would require a key. So most likely the key you are referring to is the one used in the router and the one that's needed for the client to connect.

In any case, you shouldn't use WEP or WPA. Instead, if possible use WPA2-PSK [AES]. WEP is hackable and WPA isn't as strong as WPA2. The "Key" or "Passphrase" should be a randomly generated 'password' that allows wireless clients, like your Desktop that you want to connect wirelessly, access to the router. The "Passphrase" needs to be typed exactly the same on all wireless devices, including the router.

As an example, if the "Passphrase", which is set in the router's configuration is "A1B2Z3", then the client which is attempting to connect to the router is going to need you to type in "A1B2Z3". Make the "Passphrase" different for 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz.

The longer the "Passphrase", the better. I use 64 hex digits, which is the maximum. Most clients shouldn't have an issue with that many characters. If yours does, use fewer until it works, but first start out big. Don't use words and phrases as that could be guest. If it's easy for you, it's easy for someone else to figure out. Click HERE to have a strong "Passphrase" generated for you.

Unless you make changes to the Wireless Settings in the router, once the "Passphrase" on the client is associated with the SSID and "Passphrase" on the router, you won't have to enter it again.
Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1050:08:34:23

--
How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:41 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhaz View Post
Thanks for the reply. I always read the manual and read this one several times. Can you tell me on what page I can find the information and how to access the WEP key?? Sorry for the frustration.
Wireless setting. Asking such a a simple task that should be easily find out

WEP is readable
WA/WPA- passphrase is usually not readable so need to create new one and update all wifi device