Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM

Rashmikant is on a distinguished road
Angry Is there a firmware update on CMD31T

Greetings Folks:
All of a suddent, my CMD31T cable modem is not able to connect to Comast Cable, with the lights "online", "US" and "DS" cycling and blinking. Online is not steady lit.

Comast told me that the modem is gone.

So I bought a new one monday, and it connected for a while (after Comcast set mac addrs...etc). After while, it started doing the same as the old..
FRYs (where I bought these modes) told me that many customers recently came by and were experience the same issue... their view is the COmCast must have upgraded their server and not compatible anymore with this modem

Comcast tells me that get "motorola"...

I am lost for words..

Any ideas.. help!!

Thank you
Rashmi
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there a firmware update on CMD31T

Listen to Comcast and use other model/brand

You have same posting in other thread already

Call Netgear if you need a support! Form is only user to user
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM

Rashmikant is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Is there a firmware update on CMD31T

Greetings
Thanks for redirect. .. Netgear support is clueless..

Apparently, butting heads with Netgear, Comcast, FRYs:
seems like Comcast owned up that they made some changes that netgear modems are supposed to have caught up to , they did not, Comcast has reverted back to the original version, and will work with Netgear to address this.

Amazing..

Thank you anyway..
Rashmikante:
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM

GLC is on a distinguished road

User to user... I can feel your pain Rashmikant.

The Comcast technician assigned to my service call took one quick look and knew the problem was because I have a Netgear CMD31T cable modem. He explained a majority of his recent down tickets are because the customer owns the same hardware I do. He also showed me an email the field service group received regarding the issue with the CMD31T and the Comcast system uprade/rollback that caused us to lose service. I asked if my modem was damaged during the system change and his opinion was my modem was working perfectly fine but the system change rendered it unable to connect to Comcast internet services.

I also shared your experience with trying to replace my cable modem. The 2 Fry's stores and the Micro Center that I called were out of stock on all their cable modems. Their sales staff were well aware of the Comcast issue.
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Lethalevenasleep is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Is there a firmware update on CMD31T

CMD31T Disconnection Issues.

My modem kept disconnecting and reconnecting after a couple days and I began to get frustrated. Then a day later I was finally cut off from the internet. The CMD31T kept cycling trying to establish a connection. I noticed that the UP and DOWN 1/2 would flash a couple times go solid then drop in an endless loop. I called Comcast and they told me they didn't know what the problem was nor were there any outages. They said I could have a technician come out and see what the problem was. I honestly felt that my brand new $90 Netgear modem couldn't be the problem so I requested a technician anyways. A technician costs $50 to come out if they can't find a problem on their end. The following day I just said screw it I'll cancel the technician coming out and I will go re-rent my modem (A $7 charge is cheaper than a $50 one to see if it was modem after all). Returning from the Comcast store with the rental modem... I prepare disconnect the CMD31T and see that it was CONNECTED! I get on my pc and try using the internet to find Comcast wants me to activate my modem again.

What I got out of this....

When Comcast added the modem to my account they must have provisioned my account with the new rental modem bumping any settings with the CMD31T. At this point I get really irritated and call up Comcast and explain what happened. The representative told me that they are aware of the problem with the NetGear CMD31T and don't have a fix for it. (Why didn't the first rep. not tell me this when I called?) She started to actually tell me that the IPV6 is not working correctly between their hardware and this particular cable modem. So at this point I am not quite sure who is to blame but I just wanted to share my experience before someone calls for a technician or save them trips thinking they have a faulty modem.

I figure by now Netgear and Comcast are just exchanging emails right now blaming each other. So If you experience this problem just call Comcast and tell them to re-provision your modem.
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:44 AM

GLC is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Lethalevenasleep. Are you saying your CMD31T is working on the Comcast network now?

I spent several days trying to get resolution and Comcast tried multiple times to access and reset my Netgear modem. I finally resolved the issue by replacing it since I couldn't afford to be down any longer. Of course I now have an extra modem that will probably work once Comcast and Netgear work out what ever issue rendered it useless on the Comcast network. I doubt Comcast will reimburse us for the cost of the replacement equipment to fix a problem they caused.
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Lethalevenasleep is on a distinguished road

Yes, been working since they provisioned the loaned modem... Then I just reactivated the CMD31T. They told me to call back if the same thing happened again and they would remove the CMD31T from there side and then provision it to get it working again. I have yet to do that yet. Someone on another thread said that the problem has been resolved but I am still getting random d/c... I wonder if it's just Comcast trying to figure things out. Anyways I would just wait it out and just take back that extra modem you bought until either Netgear fixes things with a firmware update or Comcast fixes it on their side.
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
until either Netgear fixes things with a firmware update or Comcast fixes it on their side.
this probably likely for comcast need to come up with firmware fixes for ISP branded firmware.

Netgear will be liable for retail products firmware.
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Mike_Demler is on a distinguished road

The situation was caused when Comcast rolled out an IPv6 upgrade:
“Comcast is in the process of deploying IPv6 nationally. We recently identified that the retail NetGear CMD31T device ships with and runs an uncertified version of firmware that exacerbates a critical IPv6-related defect. To ensure Comcast customers with these devices will continue to have uninterrupted Internet service, we have rolled back IPv6 temporarily in some parts of our network to give NetGear more time to address the issue. Comcast anticipates NetGear will soon address the issue for their retail devices, which we will test and deploy on an emergency basis.”
For the complete story, see Comcast abruptly cuts off users of Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 modems at the EE Daily News