Old April 27th, 2007, 07:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

xy16644 is on a distinguished road
Default Packet Loss - DG834PN

If I ping my routers IP (192.168.0.1) continously (ping 192.168.0.1 -t) then I find that I get about a 1 - 5% packet loss rate. This occurs over wifi and/or wired. Is this normal?

I find it quite annoying when I am surfing the internet, sometimes I have to refresh a site since when I tried to browse it there was a second or two when there were dropped packets to the router.

I am running firmware 1.03.30 and using wpa-psk for encryption.

Surely I shouldn't be getting packet loss from both of my laptops (Toshiba P100-465 and an IBM T30) with this new router??

Appreciate any help as I am not sure what to do next after Googling for a day...

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

lydell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Packet Loss - DG834PN

With a consumer-grade router, I'd have to say that you can expect to see a little bit of packet loss. I use a series of consumer-grade access points at my business and I'm constantly running ping -t's to check connectivity. Very rarely have I seen 0% loss even between to access points that are "line of sight." I will say, however, that if you are right beside the DG834PN (say 5 feet) you should pretty much always see 0% loss with some once-in-a-blue-moon exceptions. Don't expect the same if you're, say, in the basement. Probably not gonna happen.
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

lydell - there's is absolutely no reason why packet loss should be a problem when pinging a consumer grade router over a wired connection - on the other hand, with wireless, some packet loss is to be expected.

xy16644 - you need to examine your network - both the infrastructure and the environment.

Make sure you are using good quality cable CAT5 at a minimum and that they are properly terminated. Also check to see that the cables are not bundled together with other cables that can generate noise, such as telephone cables - when a telephone rings, the ring signal is a 90V AC signal that is quite capable of disrupting network traffic in an adjacent network cable.

Try to determine what sort of traffic usage your network is carrying, congestion is a prime cause of dropped packets - are you running any torrent servers or downloads, any peer to peer sharing programs, streaming video or audio - try disconnecting everything but the one computer you are testing from.
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
NETGEAR Addict

GuyAdams is on a distinguished road

Just to add to fordems comments, update your netwok card drivers too, probably not the cause but always best practice.

Check out my blog 'Guy Adams on Technology' here (external link)

Forum Rules - Post screenshots for free

VPN Tutorials, Tips & Tricks - ProSafe Firmware Upgrade - Interface Demo's
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:00 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

hutchings_18 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Packet Loss - DG834PN

I have same problem on my DG834PN and on my brother's DG834PN... I swapped it for a DG834G (temporarily, as I was setting it up for a friend) and there was no loss of packets

The only difference in the routers that I could see were:
When pinging the DG834G, the TTL was 255
When pinging the DG834PN, the TTL was 64

I was chatting to a colleague in work (this morning) who has just installed a DG834GT and he is having the same problem!

Is there a way to change the TTL on my network to 255?

Thanks,

Hutch
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchings_18 View Post
Is there a way to change the TTL on my network to 255?
Don't go making changes unless you know what they do - changing the TTL or "time to live" will not have any effect on dropped packets when pinging a device on your local network.

TTL is a counter, if you like, consider it a number stored in a field in the data packet - as that packet passes through a router along it's journey, the TTL field is decremented and when it reached zero the packet is discarded, and a message sent to the source, to advise that the packet has "expired".

This is done to prevent data packets that are not delivered to the destination address for whatever reason, from continuously bouncing from router to router across the internet.

On a local network, the TTL will never be decremented, it doesn't matter if it's 1 or 255.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Moving to RangeMax Routers
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Packet Loss - DG834PN

FOUND THE PROBLEM!

My router is situated VERY close to my XBOX 360 (connected via network cable). I'm assuming that, even though the power is not on, there is still a wireless signal being omitted from the console (due to the wireless controller connection). If I pull the power cable out of the XBOX.....

BOOM... NO PACKET LOSS... WEBPAGES ARE LOADING FAST AGAIN!!!

YAY!

Happy days are here again!

Now all I have to do is get my xbox and router as far away from each other as possible - problem... only one telephone point in the house... options are limited.
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM
NETGEAR Addict

GuyAdams is on a distinguished road

Bah its that old chestnut!

I had a similar problem recently at a customers, they have a digital sender which sends TV signals from one TV to another.

Caused havoc with the wireless and took some real fiddling to get the wireless channel right too.

You can change your wireless channel which should help, im not sure how it affects the speeds on the draft n routers though so you may want to keep an eye on it because on the old 108Mbps routers, only channel 6 would provide 108Mbps, all the other channels could only operate at 54Mbps.

Glad your sorted.

Check out my blog 'Guy Adams on Technology' here (external link)

Forum Rules - Post screenshots for free

VPN Tutorials, Tips & Tricks - ProSafe Firmware Upgrade - Interface Demo's
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yeah, I tried changing the channel but it didn't seem to help... strange that, cos it should work if I change to a different channel than the XBOX wireless signal?!?!
I might have another go.
I'm just happy now that it's sorted