Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM

Blackredgold1964 is on a distinguished road
Default 5Ghz band, are my 3 laptops capable of using this?

Hello,
Should I buy a dual band router? My internet connection next to the router is fine though elsewhere in our large house really bad and think a new router might help.
Do my laptops support 5Ghz? I checked on this tread:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=42289
where it says: “If a wireless card is described as b/g/n its most likely a 2.4GHz card only - a/b/g/n would be dual band.”
So, I’ve got various laptops:
1. Dell Inspiron, less than one year old, with a card saying: Network Adapter Properties: Dell Wireless 1502 802.11b/g/n. According to the above, the “n” would not support the 5Ghz band. However, I found the info “802.11n operates on both the 2.4 GHz and the lesser used 5 GHz bands”. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11). Any ideas?
2. Dell Insprion, 3 years old, Network Adapter Properties: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. The info here (http://www.intel.com/products/wirele...ess_mobile.htm) says: “Supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands” The fact that it does not have an “n” means that it only supports the older, and slower “b” and “g” standards. So still, it would make sense to buy a dual band route for this laptop, right?
3. Dell Insprion, 3 years old, Network Adapter Properties: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-card This does not give any “b/g/n” specification. However, on the Dell website I found “Dell Wireless 1395 802.11b/g PCI Express Mini Card for Select Dell Inspiron“. I suppose this is the card in my laptop and supports only the older “b” and “g” standard. So this would not benefit from a dual band router.

My current router is BiPAC 5200 Series, (802.11g) ADSL2+ Modem/Router. I assume the “g” means it does not support the latest “n” standard, that my laptop No 1 has.
I also want to upgrade to something faster from my current download speed of 7.8 Meg. Here in the UK they are offering superfast fibre optic with 58.9 Meg download speed. So I assume for that I need a new router anyway.
If someone could clarify if a dual band router is beneficial I’d be grateful.
Regards
Blackredgold1964
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:26 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 5Ghz band, are my 3 laptops capable of using this?

read it again

802.11 a/b/g/n ONLY support both bands. some OLD card with a/b/g/n will support 5Ghz at 54MBps ONLY so even you have a/b/g/n you need to find the EXACT spec on both band that support UPTO N speed
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
read it again

802.11 a/b/g/n ONLY support both bands. some OLD card with a/b/g/n will support 5Ghz at 54MBps ONLY so even you have a/b/g/n you need to find the EXACT spec on both band that support UPTO N speed
Thanks for the reply, jmizoguchi, you mention specifically "a/b/g/n". My laptop no 2 for example has the Network Adapter "Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG", so no "n". Would I be able to use the 5Ghz band? Or is it getting so unclear now and is the equipment so old that it's not worth bothering trying to pair an old laptop with a super new router?
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM

you are not reading the spec
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...tion-brief.pdf

read again
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Let me cut to the chase - 5GHz wireless networks suffer more from attenuation and therefore have less range than 2.4GHz networks, so if your problem is poor coverage, a 5GHz network won't improve things any.
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

idxpired is on a distinguished road

u do not have a laptop with abgn adapter. its better u go with single band router as with just the abg laptop, the laptop may connect to router on 5ghz band but speed will be poorer than 2.4, go for a single band router
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM

802.11abg both supports 54Mbps is not poor speed.

5Ghz has less range therefore compare to 2.4Ghz your range is poor in 5ghz which may results to have less #Mbps connection
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:34 PM

OK, thanks for the latest replies which clarified that I won't benefit much from the dual band router. Along the way I learned a bit about network cards as well which is always good.
If someone else has additional comments then please don't hesitate to post them but for now I think we can close this post.

Thanks again.
Blackredgold1964
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM

most your laptop can be replace the internal MINI-PCIe card so you can upgrade that way to have 802.11 ABGN card like intel 5xxx series card

it's all depends on if you need 5Ghz because 2.4Ghz is well saturated where you really need to deploy 5Ghz.