Old April 4th, 2012, 05:33 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

derekcentrico is on a distinguished road
Question Only one port forward instance to internal port?!?!

Okay, so let me say that Linksys, Buffalo, and DLink do not have this stupid limitation on using an internal port one time only for port forwarding.

I am trying to setup port forwarding to port 3389 on my parents two PC's and laptop so that I/they can do remote desktop access via an obscure port.

Port triggering will not work. I setup all PC's using Port Triggering so that 2000, 2001, 2002 pointed to the three machines LAN IP and to 3389 on each. The connection will not work. I did not expect it to as this is a Forwarding matter.

However, Port Forwarding will not permit me to use port 3389 more than once even though it is to a different IP on the network. It gives me the error that 3389 is already in use in another Port Forward configuration. So, 2000 gets forwarded to PC1's 3389.

Port Forwarding does work, but only permits ONE PC to be used. Port Triggering fails to work for all three.

How can I get around such nonsense?
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:50 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only one port forward instance to internal port?!?!

Let ME say this - go back & check - you're mistaken...

No NAT router allows a single port to be forwarded to more than one internal ip address - it's a limitation of the NAT process - so whatever it is that you THINK Linksys, Buffalo & D-Link are doing - go look again - because one port can only be forwarded to one internal ip address.

What the other routers may allow is port translation in which case you can forward port 3389 external to port 3389 internal on one host, and port 3390 external to port 3389 internal on a second host - but - I've said it twice and I going to say it a third time - one port can only be forwarded to one internal ip address.

You can't get around that - it is a limitation of the NAT process - as long as you use NAT, you have no choice but to live with that limitation, regardless of what brand of router you choose.

You can achieve what you need using port translation, or better yet, using a VPN - but the onus is on you to verify that the router you are purchasing offers these features before purchase rather than gripe about it after the fact.

I can sit at my laptop at any location with internet access and RDP into any desktop in my network, using the ipsec VPN feature on my Netgear router, and I can view my security cameras from any PC in the world with an internet connection on port 8081 because my Netgear router allows me to translate the incoming port 8081 to port 80 on my security server.

It's done by planning ahead & choosing the products you're purchasing to meet the requirements of the plan.
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

You really had to be a real "rear" via repsonse? Seriously?

First, the cheapest routers allow for translation like this instance. No router interface calls it translation, they ALL call it forwarding. Therefore, I used the GUI language that seems uniform throughout.

Second, you're saying that this one time expensive router, which it was to be oh so great, that my parents bought is unable to do what a $25 dollar router on Newegg can?

Third this shouldn't be a difficult procedure to accomplish else other low-end to high-end models at other suppliers would be less likely to incorporate it as a possibility.

Fourth, my LAN network runs smoothly with a E4200 and Ubuntu server which provides well more than enough for me.

Fifth, being this is for my parents who live 1,500 miles away from me and are a bit older and not so tech savvy, I'm trying to get what they have working so that I can help them more easily.
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

nettulf is on a distinguished road

Just change wich port remote desktop listens to, so that all the computers uses to different ports. It is a simple regedit - do a Google search for "change rdp port" or something.

Then forward that port in the router to the corresponding computer.

Use ip-address:port-number when you initiate the remote desktop from your home to their computer.
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yeah that was my fallback plan. My only concern will be that the next Windows SP update will rollback the change. No big deal if it does I guess. They'll just have to wait til the next Thanksgiving.
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First, the cheapest routers allow for translation like this instance. No router interface calls it translation, they ALL call it forwarding. Therefore, I used the GUI language that seems uniform throughout.
Port forwarding in general term is on port to single ip

PAT port address translation is actual terms exist and you did know

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...co-ios/1053789

Quote:
Second, you're saying that this one time expensive router, which it was to be oh so great, that my parents bought is unable to do what a $25 dollar router on Newegg can?
Just because one has it's option doesn't mean one manufacture is to blame etc.
Every manufacture sees different in the feature that they want to provide for their models (home end or business class)

Suggestion is if the device don't support and you don't like it then go and pick other model that suit you.

Quote:
Fourth, my LAN network runs smoothly with a E4200 and Ubuntu server which provides well more than enough for me.
You already know your solution so end of the thread

Quote:
Fifth, being this is for my parents who live 1,500 miles away from me and are a bit older and not so tech savvy, I'm trying to get what they have working so that I can help them more easily.
good luck is all you get on this..

Quote:
Yeah that was my fallback plan. My only concern will be that the next Windows SP update will rollback the change. No big deal if it does I guess.
If you can deal with few simple to changes of RDP ports

Quote:
Looking to use multiple PC for Remote Desktop Connection? You will need to edit registry.
Before you attempt registry edting. Please pay full attention when you edit your PC registry. It can halt your PC after restart
Go to start, run, regedit and find the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
In the Edit menu, click Modify and then click on Decimal.
Enter your new port number and click on OK, then exit
Registry editing will not take effect until you restart your PC
Follow same way your setup earlier with "Port Forwarding"
Get yourself and teamview.com or gotomypc.com for simple to access the pc.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:31 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcentrico View Post
You really had to be a real "rear" via repsonse? Seriously?

Third this shouldn't be a difficult procedure to accomplish else other low-end to high-end models at other suppliers would be less likely to incorporate it as a possibility.

I'm saying that anytime you want to mouth off about a product - get your facts straight or risk ending up looking like a fool who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Regardless of what a router manufacturer calls it or which menu on his product he uses to implement it, NAT cannot forward one external port to more than one internal port - which was your gripe. It's a limitation of the techology.

The cost of the router is of no relevance - yes I know a $25 D-Link router can do port translation - but it can't forward one external port to more than one internal port - and if your parents bought an expensive router than doesn't offer the feature, that means they didn't do their research before buying - or perhaps, they did - they called their tech savvy son, and he dropped the ball.

Anyway you twist & turn this - Netgear is not the one to blame - the onus is on the purchaser to ensure that the product meets his/her needs - all Netgear has to do is ensure that their product does in fact offer the features they claim it does.
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:33 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

that was ass whooping.. well said.

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old April 30th, 2012, 04:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

And I reawaken this thread from its slumber...

Would the "N900" support the above issue of "port translation" so that I may forward external ports to the same internal port on multiple IP addresses?
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

likely not .. if you didn't see in inbound ( port forwarding) then you know the answer in very simply way.

most home end router do NOT support port translation

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy