Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Routers & Modem Gateways

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

johnallen is on a distinguished road
Default Port Forwarding, RP614v2, AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B

I got my 2wire 2701 into "bridge mode" thanks to this link:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/amfaq/...re_Home_Portal

And got the internet working.

But I am having trouble getting portforwarding to work. Seems like traffic I port forward is blocked. I assume by my 2701.

If anyone has port forwarding working with their 2wire 2701, let me know.

John
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:53 AM
NETGEAR Addict

GuyAdams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Port Forwarding, RP614v2, AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B

John,

If your 2701 is in "bridged mode" it should be transparent and the port forwarding should be done from the RP614.

The way to tell if the is all setup correctly is in the RP614's web configuration page, under ROUTER STATUS, check the WAN IP address. If its a 192. or 172. or 10. the lightly hood is your 2701 isnt in bridged mode correctly.

If its any other address then;

1) Setup address reservation for the PC you want the port to be forwarded to, this is found under LAN Setup in the web configuration. By doing this you will ensure when you computer starts it always gets the same IP address from the router

2) Setup your port forwarding to the newly reserved IP address.

Hope this helps.

Check out my blog 'Guy Adams on Technology' here (external link)

Forum Rules - Post screenshots for free

VPN Tutorials, Tips & Tricks - ProSafe Firmware Upgrade - Interface Demo's
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:37 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

johnallen is on a distinguished road

Finally figured it out. I connected a different (Xsense) router and port forwarding worked right away. Must be something with my RP614v2. Thanks for the help!
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM

purplexs2 is on a distinguished road

Cannot get port-forwarding to work effectively on my RP614v2.
This is what I can do:
Taking the router out of the picture altogether:
1. I can use my external IP address (a permanent Fibre-to-the-node connection) as the address in my client browser, and read pages from my client machine, in other words, I'm pretty sure that the client machine http server is working fine (Mac OSX 10.4, running Apache httpd).

With the router in place:
1. I can enable remote administration, and load my router admin page via external IP address:8080, works fine.

2. With multiple machines on the router, they can access each other as web-server/clients using the LAN addresses, ie 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.4.
If I designate 192.168.0.4 as port-forward on 8081, and configure its web-server to listen on 8081, client machine 192.168.0.3 can access 192.168.0.4:8081 just fine.

What I can't do:
Having used the router control web-page to designate 192.168.0.3 as the port-forward for port 80, I cannot get any access at all to external IP address in a browser, either from itself or from any other machine on the LAN.

In conclusion, port-forwarding works for local LAN addresses, but has no effect for the external IP address.
I've tried numerous settings with different protocols (ftp, ssh ...), fiddled with miscellaneous settings, (DMZ, UPnP), and restored factory settings (both by the control-page, and by the router button).

Would much appreciate any assistance observations from the cognoscenti, specifically:

1. Should I get another router?

2. Do I need a firmware uprade? (i can find firmware, 5.2, but how do I identify the firmware version that's already on the router?)

3. And while I'm here, how come a restoration of factory settings (by either method) does not clear my ISP account name and password?

Many thanks,
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexs2 View Post
Cannot get port-forwarding to work effectively on my RP614v2.
This is what I can do:
Taking the router out of the picture altogether:
1. I can use my external IP address (a permanent Fibre-to-the-node connection) as the address in my client browser, and read pages from my client machine, in other words, I'm pretty sure that the client machine http server is working fine (Mac OSX 10.4, running Apache httpd).

With the router in place:
1. I can enable remote administration, and load my router admin page via external IP address:8080, works fine.

2. With multiple machines on the router, they can access each other as web-server/clients using the LAN addresses, ie 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.4.
If I designate 192.168.0.4 as port-forward on 8081, and configure its web-server to listen on 8081, client machine 192.168.0.3 can access 192.168.0.4:8081 just fine.

What I can't do:
Having used the router control web-page to designate 192.168.0.3 as the port-forward for port 80, I cannot get any access at all to external IP address in a browser, either from itself or from any other machine on the LAN.

In conclusion, port-forwarding works for local LAN addresses, but has no effect for the external IP address.
I've tried numerous settings with different protocols (ftp, ssh ...), fiddled with miscellaneous settings, (DMZ, UPnP), and restored factory settings (both by the control-page, and by the router button).

Would much appreciate any assistance observations from the cognoscenti, specifically:

1. Should I get another router?

2. Do I need a firmware uprade? (i can find firmware, 5.2, but how do I identify the firmware version that's already on the router?)

3. And while I'm here, how come a restoration of factory settings (by either method) does not clear my ISP account name and password?

Many thanks,
ISP can block port 80 ..
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:14 AM

purplexs2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response, jmizoguchi:

I have however verified there's a problem with the router: when reduce my home network to a single computer plugged direct into the external WAN, off-site public users can read my web pages, on any port I set my apache to listen on (standard 80, non-standard 8081 etc). The only ports my ISP blocks are 25 and 110.

But not to worry - I got my fair use out of it and it's time to get a bigger router anyway, and use the RP614 for a downstream fixture.

ciao!
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexs2 View Post
Thanks for the response, jmizoguchi:

I have however verified there's a problem with the router: when reduce my home network to a single computer plugged direct into the external WAN, off-site public users can read my web pages, on any port I set my apache to listen on (standard 80, non-standard 8081 etc). The only ports my ISP blocks are 25 and 110.

But not to worry - I got my fair use out of it and it's time to get a bigger router anyway, and use the RP614 for a downstream fixture.

ciao!
when RP614 is hooked up. WAN/internet port do have public IP -RP614?
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:39 PM

martin76 is on a distinguished road

I just figured out what my problem was with Port triggering: The config webpage says "Enable port triggering" on a side of a checkbox. You believe you check the box and triggering will be enabled. WRONG!

Uncheck the box because the entry should be tagged as DISABLE port triggering.

In the right HTML help page you can read that the checbox was really meant to DISABLE triggering. The Help text is correct, just the configuration HTML frame has wrong description along the box.

I think same mistake might be on the port forwarding page. Definitely, for me port forwarding did work in the past.