Old April 11th, 2012, 06:18 AM

islhopr is on a distinguished road
Angry Netgear DDNS Provider Monopoly?

I ordered the 3400 wireless router yesterday to use with some wireless security cameras that I ordered the same day.
I went over the docs on the router and cameras online, so I would have a working understanding of the overall setup when I receive them.

Upon reading, I found out that I had to have a static IP address to bring up the cameras from the internet, which was the main reason for having them in the first place.

So no biggie, I signed up for the FREE DDNS provider "DNSdynamic.org", and now have a FREE static IP address from them, very Simply process.

So I then researched Setting it up with the Netgear 3400 modem, and to my utter AMAZMENT, I found out that Netgear ONLY offers 2 Providers that you can use with their DDNS>?, Which ARE PAID PROVIDERS !!!!!

1 dyndns.org starting at 20.00 Bucks a year
2 TZO.org, starting at 25.00 Bucks a year??

REALLY???????????????

I read thru the docs and could not find anything allowing a consumer to enter a different choice!

So I have two questions

1 Maybe I missed something, but is there a way to enter a DDNS provider of MY CHOICE?? That I missed somewhere

2 If Not, and those are the only two options I have, how much of a Kickback does Netgear receive from these 2 providers to eliminate all other consumer choices for FREE DDNS providers??

Thank You
Rick
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:34 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Netgear DDNS Provider Monopoly?

dyndns is FREE

read correctly at their sits on how to

also this asked question many times
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:23 PM

First off, when I posted the first comment about this subject all I got was a white screen, and did not get a confirm that it posted. That is why I posted about the same subject again. Since I did not have the option of deleting the first post, what is why there is two of them.

Have you been to their website recently? If not maybe you should visit it?

It is NO longer a free service, and apparently the users who originally did sign up for the free service, not gets their host name RESET monthly. The only thing you get from them FREE now, is a 30 day Trial window.

So I do not know when it was a free service but it is NO longer unless I am totally missing something, but I went over everything on that site remotely having to do with setting up a DDNS account, and always was brought back to the pay screens!

I already decided to send this modem back and ordered another modem that supports Tomato, which will allow me to enter whatever DDNS service I choose, including the free ones, and NOT what Netgear wants me use.
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:45 AM

Once again, Maybe you should stay up to date and investigate what the users are posting, before commenting on someone's concerns.
Here is another post from another site about Dys charging for their accounts, which is the exact same thing I ran into, dated 11/15/2011

"Default No more free DynDns?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from 7 mo in Afghanistan with the Marine Corps and, while getting my home network set back up and all that, I noticed that DynDns isn't free any more? It seems like I can't add a host without paying now...am I missing something or did they in fact get rid of their free service?

If it is in fact no longer free, can someone recommend a free alternative? I don't really use it for anything important so I'm not going to pay for it...even though it is pretty cheap.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks. "
------------------------------

" Even from the wizard thing (which I hadn't seen before...thanks!) it says I have to "try a 30 day trial of Pro" to add a host. Very lame. I've had this service for ever...shame they decided to do this."

Here is the link for the thread

http://www.computerforums.org/forums...ns-214094.html
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:06 PM

subin is on a distinguished road

dyndns.com is still free. What you would need to do is sugn up for the "pro trial" and then cancel it within 14 days (or whatever they specified). This means that you would need to provide them with a credit card number, however, you could delete that information later.

After the cancellation, you still get to keep one host name.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:42 AM

jctcom is on a distinguished road

Still sucks that Netgear would put such a limiting restriction on Dynamic DNS providers. They must own shares in DYDNS.org or something. otherwise why use such a useless provider.

Asking for a credit card for a free service is nothing short of a scam. I would not provide my credit card number when I am signing up for something that in the end is supposed to be free.

There is a work around for no-ip for those that are interested. They provide a utility that you can install on a computer anywhere inside the network that will automatically connect and maintain your dynamic host periodically.

But still. Come on Netgear. Smarten up. Give us the option to put our own choice of Dynamic DNS provider in the next firmware update!

JcT
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road

Most routers only provide links to DynDNS' servers.

What I object to is that you now need a Credit Card to sign up to the DynDNS service. Not everyone has a Credit Card, nor wants one.

One manufacturer has jumped in and now provides a suitable sing-up service that actually uses the DynDNS system. I think it was D-Link and you do not have to have one of their routers.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM

Seandk01 is on a distinguished road

This is a v.good reason for not buying net gear products ever.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

one leaves and more comes in....

It's personal preferences. Can't be talking negatively about brands based on features. There is no standards in device development etc that all have to follow.
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:16 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandk01 View Post
This is a v.good reason for not buying net gear products ever.
Why is it such a bad reason?

As a person who does not own a D-Link router, I think it is possible to sign up to their DynDNS compatible system. Yes it is cheeky, but it works, so I have been told, and does not cost anything.