Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

parkman is on a distinguished road
Default 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection

Hi, I wonder if some-one could help me ? How do I know if I am using 2.4 ghz or 5ghz ? I have a blue LED showing on the front of the modem, but if I go to my laptop and click on the wireless icon and then view all wireless networks in range, I have the 2.4 ghz connection listed but there is no reference to 5ghz. I would like to know if I have not set up the 5ghz network ? Or does the modem automatically switch between 2.4 and 5ghz ? I connect to the internet without a problem but I do so using the 2.4 SSID connection. Perhaps some-one may be able to shed some light on this ?
Thanks, parkman
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
NETGEAR Expert

theTechman05 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection

put different id on to see. Btw its one or the other. Post again with furtherings and I'll try to help more.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
NETGEAR Expert

theTechman05 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection

put different id on to see. Btw its one or the other. Post again with furtherings and I'll try to help more.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road

As Techman has suggested, you should give each WiFi frequency a different SSID.

I have seen someone else suggest that they have used the same name on both frequencies, but if you think about it, there isn't much benefit to this as the router is only physically located in one place.

One suggestion would be to name them in a fashion that you could easily identify the difference:
  • top draw
  • bottom draw

Of course this is only any good if the device you are using is able to access both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. inSSIDer will show both if it your computer has a suitable adaptor. Wifi Analyzer is a useful app for the Android phones and spots both on my mobile.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi, thanks for replies. I downloaded inSSIDer but to be honest I could not figure out how it works. I had a look on a forum in the hope of finding a manual but it seems there isn't one available. So that rules that out. I have tried changing the 2.4 and 5ghz settings to see if I could get the 5ghz channel to come up when I refresh the available networks but I still can't see a separate 5ghz connection. I disabled the 2.4ghz network, took all the check boxes off so that there is no broadcast etc., updated the configuration then set the 5ghz to primary with the broadcast check box on, updated the configuration again. Then I turned off the modem and turned it back on, waited for it to come back up and all the LED's were on, i.e. internet, wireless and both 2.4 and 5ghz LED's. But as I expected I couldn't see the 2.4ghz network when I refreshed the available network list, but equally I couldn't see the 5ghz either.
I presume that this problem is being caused by the wireless settings somewhere but if so then I haven't found it. Do [or should]both networks show up when you refresh the available networks list ? I set both networks as "primary" - would that be correct ? I did try using 5ghz-2 as a non-primary network but that didn't work either.
Perhaps there is a short answer to this, as I have dragged the question out a bit.
Many thanks, parkman.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:26 AM
NETGEAR Addict

I don't know why you are unable to see your own router's SSID, but here is a quick guide to the three main screens that will be of interest. I've covered over the MAC Addresses and most of the SSID names for security reasons.

This image shows the 5GHz channels. As you can see, along the top is all the visible routers. The one I am connected to is in bold white. My 2.4GHz SSID carries the same MAC Address at first and is 4th in the list.

From this image it is clear that no one else close to me is using the 5GHz frequency.

My other Laptop will show the 5GHz screen, but since the installed adaptor doesn't work on the 5GHz channels, it remains blank.

This image shows the 2.4GHz channels. My 2.4GHz SSID is the largest one and uses channels 1 & 5. The overlap shows the actual coverage of the signal. From this you can see that it will interfere with anyone who uses up to channel 7. Although actually if someone were using channel 7, their signal would overlap mine. A neighbour would have to be using channel 9 or higher to be clear of mine.

As you can see, most people tend to stick to channels 1, 6 and 11 as these offer the cleanest signal groups, avoiding overlapping signals.

This third and final image shows the signal pattern. Although the 2.4GHz spikes on my own router's signal, this is something I have noticed on the WiFi Adaptor I have installed in this Laptop. When connected to a 2.4GHz channel, I don't get those spikes on it. My other Laptop works just fine on 2.4GHz only.

The fading lines indicate that those signals are too weak for me to connect to.

I have found that the actual reported signal strength will vary according to which adaptor you are using and the angle which both the router and Laptop are relative to each other.

A piece of information that I cropped out is the number of Access Points found. This will vary according to how many WiFi routers are in range. Mine typically reaches in excess of 40. I left my other Laptop on all day a few months ago and recorded in excess of 60 APs.

I trust this simplified guide helps.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi, thanks a lot for the comprehensive explanation and diagrams. Wait for the "but" - excuse my ignorance but how to I actually start inSSIDer looking for networks ? I opened the program and tried just clicking on "Start" but that didn't do anything, then I tried setting the gps bit but as I don't know what comms port it should run on that didn't help either. There seems to be a lot of complicated setting up to use the DGND3700 so perhaps I would be just as well reverting back to a normal Netgear ADSL router/modem. Obviously there are a lot of unexplained settings as I have also lost control of my wireless printer. When I try to set this up I know I have the correct password for the network and the Canon software shows that the network is Netgear 24g [the name I have given the 2.4ghz network] but when the "Connect" box is ticked a message comes back to say either the password is wrong or the network is off, and yet I am actuelly logged onto the internet.
If I could even get inSSIDer to work that would be a start, and then I could get onto Netgear support.
Best regards, parkman.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
I don't know why you are unable to see your own router's SSID, but here is a quick guide to the three main screens that will be of interest. I've covered over the MAC Addresses and most of the SSID names for security reasons.

This image shows the 5GHz channels. As you can see, along the top is all the visible routers. The one I am connected to is in bold white. My 2.4GHz SSID carries the same MAC Address at first and is 4th in the list.

From this image it is clear that no one else close to me is using the 5GHz frequency.

My other Laptop will show the 5GHz screen, but since the installed adaptor doesn't work on the 5GHz channels, it remains blank.

This image shows the 2.4GHz channels. My 2.4GHz SSID is the largest one and uses channels 1 & 5. The overlap shows the actual coverage of the signal. From this you can see that it will interfere with anyone who uses up to channel 7. Although actually if someone were using channel 7, their signal would overlap mine. A neighbour would have to be using channel 9 or higher to be clear of mine.

As you can see, most people tend to stick to channels 1, 6 and 11 as these offer the cleanest signal groups, avoiding overlapping signals.

This third and final image shows the signal pattern. Although the 2.4GHz spikes on my own router's signal, this is something I have noticed on the WiFi Adaptor I have installed in this Laptop. When connected to a 2.4GHz channel, I don't get those spikes on it. My other Laptop works just fine on 2.4GHz only.

The fading lines indicate that those signals are too weak for me to connect to.

I have found that the actual reported signal strength will vary according to which adaptor you are using and the angle which both the router and Laptop are relative to each other.

A piece of information that I cropped out is the number of Access Points found. This will vary according to how many WiFi routers are in range. Mine typically reaches in excess of 40. I left my other Laptop on all day a few months ago and recorded in excess of 60 APs.

I trust this simplified guide helps.
Hi Scubbie, a quick update to your last post - I have inSSIDer working. I am not sure just how but I had to restart my laptop earlier and when I decided to open inSSIDer a few minutes ago, lo and behold, inSSIDer was showing 2.4ghz networks. However there isn't anything showing under the 5ghz heading. So it would appear perhaps that the 5ghz network isn't transmitting ? Back to my original problem. Would you have any idea what could be the issue ?
Best regards, parkman.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
NETGEAR Addict

I purposefully kept to the basic features. The GPS option is for when you have a specific unit attached which can feed GPS co-ordinates to your computer. Since most people don't have this, don't worry about it.

As for the 5GHz channels, take a look at the specific make & model of the WiFi adaptor installed in your computer first. Not all are capable of working on WiFi a.

A search on the Internet would help you here.

If you happen to have an iPad, iPhone 4 or later or a new Android, you may be able to access the 5GHz channels.

Download and install "Wifi Analyzer" from the Android or Apple markets and see what happens. It produces a similar display to inSSIDer, but on my Samsung Galaxy S2 it only shows single channels.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi Scubbie, and theTechnoman05, I did a quick live support call to Netgear, and I would say almost 100% that it is an issue with my WIFI adaptor. To honest, when I bought the N600 I didn't realise that I would need a dual band WIFI adaptor, I just thought [DOH!!] that any newer laptop would operate on both bands. It was only "talking" to the Netgear support operator that I began to understand that she was talking about something totally different than my laptops. When she started asking what other devices I wanted to connect, and whether they could see the 5ghz network, I began to see that we were on different wavelengths.
So, anyway, that sorts out the problem, I can't use 5ghz for connecting my laptops to the router. I don't mind really though, as I can use the 2.4ghz to operate at the 300mbps and give me a more reliable and quicker connection to the router from the laptops.
Anyway, many many thanks for your time and assistance.
Best regards, parkman.