Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM

mark2012 is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR4500 - Netgear Genie Daemon - Slow Wireless Connection at Startup

Problem:
Finding the computer shows a slow wireless connection to the wireless router on windows start up. It can take a minute or several minutes for the computer to make a final connection to the Netgear wireless router.

Once the wireless connection is made, everything works fine.

Reason:
Under Windows Services, the entry "Netgear Genie Daemon" is the cause of the slow wireless connection.

Solution:
Deselect Netgear Genie Daemon and restart the computer

How it was found
MicroSoft windows method called "Clean Boot". You can find instructions on the MicroSoft Support website > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Comment:
No need to deactivate anything in the start-up tab.

Netgear Genie GUI interface still loads and works.

Direct Internet wire connection is not affected by this issue.

The slow start up wireless connection is fixed.

This post made to help others resolve the same issue when using Netgear Genie software on Windows 7.
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR4500 - Netgear Genie Daemon - Slow Wireless Connection at Startup

good finding... most disabled in the past

two thumbs up
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:33 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

petcan3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR4500 - Netgear Genie Daemon - Slow Wireless Connection at Startup

if you set it to delayed start this fixes the problem also
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcan3 View Post
if you set it to delayed start this fixes the problem also
I am interested in this delayed start, how can I do that?

Also, what does this Netgear Genie Daemon service do?
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

StratmanX is on a distinguished road

I chronicled this some time ago. The problem you have may run deeper than you mention. Not only can you have slow network boots but also alternating drops and reconnects depending on the software involved.

Are you on a notebook or a desktop?

What is the manufacturer?

What is the network software that is running on your PC other than Netgear's Genie?

Which version of Netgear Genie are you referring to - the browser accessed GUI or the standalone Genie application you must install?

The standalone application Genie loads a Daemon at boot which creates an issue with some other application that loads at boot as well. For me, it was a Dell network utility on my notebook. Once I disabled Dell's network utility Service, OR, uninstalled Netgear's standalone Genie application all was well.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
I chronicled this some time ago. The problem you have may run deeper than you mention. Not only can you have slow network boots but also alternating drops and reconnects depending on the software involved.

Are you on a notebook or a desktop?

What is the manufacturer?

What is the network software that is running on your PC other than Netgear's Genie?

Which version of Netgear Genie are you referring to - the browser accessed GUI or the standalone Genie application you must install?

The standalone application Genie loads a Daemon at boot which creates an issue with some other application that loads at boot as well. For me, it was a Dell network utility on my notebook. Once I disabled Dell's network utility Service, OR, uninstalled Netgear's standalone Genie application all was well.
The problem occurred with my laptop, Sony, Model: FPCF132FX, the network software is the standard Windows 7 Home Premium software installed and the version of Genie is the current one.

Sony has VUService and VUAgent and some of its other VIAO services that it runs, but these caused no problem. During the clean boot method, I deselected all services except MicroSoft and kept NetGear Daemon selected and the problem still remained. Once NetGear was deselected, the problem stopped.

NetGear was not standalone, it was the full install I got from NetGear website.

Come to think of it, the periodic drops in wireless connection did occur a lot for a while until I updated NetGear Genie then it stopped, but the delayed connection persisted until the NetGear service was stopped.
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2012 View Post
NetGear was not standalone, it was the full install I got from NetGear website.
Are you referring to firmware for your router, which includes the Genie interface accessed by web browser, OR the Genie software you can download from Netgear, requiring a typical installation and have an icon on your desktop to start Genie?

Two different but very similar beasts.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

I would say originally the issues was pc booting up slow at startup. I won't bet but this is software discussion . netgear.com/genie is what referring to..
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
I would say originally the issues was pc booting up slow at startup. I won't bet but this is software discussion . netgear.com/genie is what referring to..
Netgear's Genie comes in 2 forms:
  1. Part of the Firmware of the router
  2. A standalone application you can download and install
The daemon for the standalone Genie application loads at boot and is the issue that I have only read about as well as experienced myself. The firmware-based Genie loads on demand AFAIK and hasn't caused an issue that I have read about before.

This is why I asked for clarification. If the firmware Genie is creating problems then something is awfully wrong.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Netgear's Genie comes in 2 forms:
Part of the Firmware of the router
A standalone application you can download and install
I aware of it but firmware will not make PC to boot up slowly with pc does not have genie installed.. There is good amount of thread people are confirming with Genie application loading up startup causing the delay.