Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Routers & Modem Gateways

Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:34 PM

herbriver is on a distinguished road
Default HOW TO OPEN PORTS 48705, 80 and 443

Hooking up a new blue ray player, Panasonic DMP-BD871P-K. Their tech. support said I NEED TO OPEN PORTS 48705, 80 and 443 TO CONNECT TO MY NETWORK. Using wireless Netgear Router WNR834B. How? Please Help

Thank you
Herb
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:10 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HOW TO OPEN PORTS 48705, 80 and 443

Ask their tech "open those ports WHERE and in which direction - inbound or outbound".

You should be able to connect any device to your network without "opening" any ports.

Let me explain where I'm coming from - the concept of opening a port is based on an assumption that you have something closing those ports and preventing communication - this would normally be some sort of a firewall, either in your router, or maybe a software firewall (sometimes known as a personal firewall) in your computer.

Assuming that you are using a typical consumer firewall/router (like the WNR834B) to connect your network to the internet, all outbound ports are open by default, and you only need to make changes to the inbound ports if you want to allow someone (or something) to connect from the internet, and that is a little more complicated than just "opening the port".

If the blue ray player needs to connect to a computer (maybe you're trying to watch video stored on a hard drive), you may need to configure the firewall on that computer to allow the video player software to accept connections - normally there would be no software "listening" for connections on the ports listed on most PCs.

If the blue ray player needs to connect to the internet, it should be able to without you making any changes to the firewall/router (unless you, at some point changed the firewall/router to prevent such connections).

If you need to allow some one (or something) to connect to the blue ray player from the internet, then you need to do more than just "open" the port, you need to forward the port to the blue ray player.

I hope I haven't been too confusing, but the idea is, that you need to know where to open the port before you can open it, or before we can tell you how to open it.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:32 AM

herbriver is on a distinguished road

What the problem has been that the Blue-ray player was not able to connect to Netflix, after many hours of working on it ( moving Wires, checking router, talking to techs; downloading firmware,) I got it to stream, BUT! It will not continue to stream, brakes up the loading and stops the movie until that segment is completely load, sometimes it says that it can not connect, then a few minutes it does. Driving me nuts! (not to hard to do for a 71 year old! Thank you for your help and patience.
Herb
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

This is just my opinion, and please bear in mind that I've never used that Blue-ray player - however - if we look at it from the point of view that all you're doing here is configuring a "streaming device" to stream movies from Netflix, then I have done that, with all sorts of "streaming devices" - WD Live TV Plus, Wii Console, Android Tablets, IPads, laptops, desktops - and never once did I need to open a port on anything.

If you remember in my previous post I said, if the blue-ray player needs to connect to the internet, it should be able to without you making changes - that's the scenario we're looking at here, and I stand by that statement.

I've used Netflix, and my kids use Netflix from where ever we happen to be, on whatever device may be handy - and without "opening ports", in some cases, we might be using free WiFi in a hotel (with no access to the router), in my daughter's university dorm room (again with no access to the router).

The breaking up and buffering that you describe is typical of a poor or slow internet connection, as well as possibly a poor or slow wireless connection, if the link between the player and the network is wireless.

The fact that it connects and will stream sometimes indicates that whatever ports are needed to be open are already open.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbriver View Post
What the problem has been that the Blue-ray player was not able to connect to Netflix, after many hours of working on it ( moving Wires, checking router, talking to techs; downloading firmware,) I got it to stream, BUT! It will not continue to stream, brakes up the loading and stops the movie until that segment is completely load, sometimes it says that it can not connect, then a few minutes it does. Driving me nuts! (not to hard to do for a 71 year old! Thank you for your help and patience.
Herb
sounds like it is not port issues since after firmware upgrade on player has made it work.

breaks up likely from wireless with player if that is what you are using it .

good test will be use ethernet cable instead and see the difference
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com