Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11ac Routers > R6300 - AC1750

Old May 31st, 2012, 09:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

IAmMe is on a distinguished road
Angry AirPrint - Another "Missing" Feature??

So AirPrint was prominently promoted as part of the R6300 as well. Is this another case of vaporware a la Guest Network? I can't seem to find any mention of it in the configuration, installation guide, or online help search. The press release clearly calls it out though...

"AirPrint TM Support: The NETGEAR Genie app enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an iPad or iPhone."

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-r.../09262010.aspx

Of course they also clearly called out Guest Network and we've already seen that was untrue. Anyone know where this is or is this now the second feature I'm simply out of luck on? (or is that third since they've also artificially capped the range out of the box too?)
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jaweston is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AirPrint - Another "Missing" Feature??

To activate AirPrint I think you need to do so through the Netgear Genie software, which must be downloaded and installed on one of the network computers.

There is an AirPrint section in the leftmost column. I was able to get AirPrint to work from an iOS device to two of three Ethernet-connected network printers. The printer that didn't work was an Epson WorkForce 600 even though it showed up in the Netgear Genie software and was visible on the iOS device. There was no error message—it just didn't print.

A call to Netgear tech support was cut short by a dropped call.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

It's good to know that there isn't consistency across the genie products either (I had already tried iphone and ipad genie). I've now downloaded and installed genie for Windows. It does in fact have an AirPrint section in which I checked the checkbox next to the networked printer I wanted. Still no success though as I've gone into two iOS devices and the printer does not appear to either.

Did you have to do anything other than check the checkbox for the printer?
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaweston View Post
To activate AirPrint I think you need to do so through the Netgear Genie software, which must be downloaded and installed on one of the network computers...
This is the only place I have found it to be available on the WNDR3800 as well. I don't know how well it will work as I don't have a suitable Apple device.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I used the Network Genie software on a Mac running Lion. I don't recall doing anything other than checking the printers I wanted.

One of my printers natively supports AirPrint, so I unchecked its box to prevent it from showing up twice in the iOS devices.

Did you try printing to more than one printer? The question in my mind is how many printers and which ones won't work. I hate to recommend this AirPrint support function not knowing whether it will work with particular printers.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

In my case I'm attempting with an HP P2015dn networked directly to the R6300. I can try Genie from OSX Lion later tonight just to rule out one more variable. I have another printer I can AirPrint with but it has native support for AirPrint so that really doesn't tell me much. Beyond that I'm out of printers to attempt with.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tried with Mac Genie now as well, still no dice. I can see my printer with native AirPrint support but not the HP printer I mentioned previously. Thoughts?
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:00 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ephone is on a distinguished road

Apple's AirPrint function requires AirPrint-enabled printer to work. Rrouters just sit transparently between iOS devices and AirPrint-enabled printers.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356?v...S&locale=en_US

HP P2015dn and Epson WorkForce 600 don't support Apple AirPrint.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephone View Post
Apple's AirPrint function requires AirPrint-enabled printer to work. Rrouters just sit transparently between iOS devices and AirPrint-enabled printers.

Yet NetGear claims to support it on everything through the magic of r6300...

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-r.../09262010.aspx
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephone View Post

I have an Epson WorkForce 600 and an HP Color LaserJet 2550n on the same local network, and I can print to them directly from iOS devices thanks to the Netgear Genie software.