Old June 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM

jrcruise is on a distinguished road
Default Can't access Extender via www.mywifiext.net

I just installed a Netgear WN2500RP range extender, and it seems to be working correctly; however, I am unable to log in to www.mywifiext.net to access the device using a browser. Attempting to access this URL results in a timeout. Is there any other way to access the device? Does the device have to be connected via Ethernet to my (Actiontec PK5000) router?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

pawnslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can't access Extender via www.mywifiext.net

It sounds like the subnet mask in the extender is different from that in your computer. That is a classic problem with this class of device. If you think this might be the case, you can establish communications with the device by connecting it by wire to your computer and making sure your computer has no other lan/internet path (connect while both are powered down). Power up the device first, let it settle a couple of minutes, then power on your computer. With no access to your main router, it will use the DHCP in the device to set the subnet mask and get an ip address. You can now use the browser to access the device.
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:31 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

extender uses existing DHCP and extender has much less to do. I should pick up by the URL or check your main router for attach device listing and find the IP of the extender and use IP in browser to see if you can reach it
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

pawnslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
extender uses existing DHCP and extender has much less to do. I should pick up by the URL or check your main router for attach device listing and find the IP of the extender and use IP in browser to see if you can reach it
Yes, the extender uses the existing DHCP... but oddly enough, this device has a DHCP built-in, and can use it when/if the main router DHCP is unavailable. I know, because I have done the procedure myself, that I outlined above. It is how I installed the extender when I first received it. Normally Netgear ships their routers/extenders/access points/etc with a different subnet mask than I have in use, so when I first tried to install a Netgear device, it was a challange.
Until I figured out what the problem was.
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:51 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

EXTENDER is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Can't access Extender via www.mywifiext.net

I KEEP GETTING THIS BELOW --------

Move Extender closer to your existing router or gateway.

The selected network is no longer available. Please make sure the existing network equipment is within the proximity of the Extender.

If you have Access Control List (ACL) enabled in your router, please make sure you have added below MAC address into your router's Access Control List (ACL).

The Extender MAC address is 20:4E:7F:9A:F1:BE
Your wireless adapter MAC address is 02:1B:2F:BB:45:E5
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM

atomheart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnslinger View Post
It sounds like the subnet mask in the extender is different from that in your computer. That is a classic problem with this class of device. If you think this might be the case, you can establish communications with the device by connecting it by wire to your computer and making sure your computer has no other lan/internet path (connect while both are powered down). Power up the device first, let it settle a couple of minutes, then power on your computer. With no access to your main router, it will use the DHCP in the device to set the subnet mask and get an ip address. You can now use the browser to access the device.
Okay, I'm having the same problem accessing my Extender using www.mywifiext.net which keeps rerouting to the general netgear support site. Your subnet issue makes sense and is no doubt my problem.

Thru repeated full Extender resets and starting all over from the beginning, I am able to enter the www.mywifiext.net configuration menus UNTIL I select a router to connect to. The moment this connection is made, it seems the router's DHCP subnet immediately takes hold and contact with the Extender is dropped, consequently preventing further settings changes and any web access to the Extender again. Very aggravating!

Your alternative hard-wired access method sounds like it could work but I don't have an ethernet cable at hand to try it. And, some devices these days dont even have ethernet ports. I think I should be able to wirelessly access this unique subnet extender any time I want to make and test various settings tweaks. Maybe I can use the "route" command line to create a static connection between www.mywifiext.net and the Extender's internal subnet. Can you tell me what the default Extender subnet is?

Any other suggestions?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM

hurnik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomheart View Post
Okay, I'm having the same problem accessing my Extender using www.mywifiext.net which keeps rerouting to the general netgear support site. Your subnet issue makes sense and is no doubt my problem.

Thru repeated full Extender resets and starting all over from the beginning, I am able to enter the www.mywifiext.net configuration menus UNTIL I select a router to connect to. The moment this connection is made, it seems the router's DHCP subnet immediately takes hold and contact with the Extender is dropped, consequently preventing further settings changes and any web access to the Extender again. Very aggravating!

Your alternative hard-wired access method sounds like it could work but I don't have an ethernet cable at hand to try it. And, some devices these days dont even have ethernet ports. I think I should be able to wirelessly access this unique subnet extender any time I want to make and test various settings tweaks. Maybe I can use the "route" command line to create a static connection between www.mywifiext.net and the Extender's internal subnet. Can you tell me what the default Extender subnet is?

Any other suggestions?
This worked for me:

www.mywifiext.com (not .net)
I think maybe NetGear has some serious typos in their manuals.
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM

dawleyd is on a distinguished road

Thanks Hurnik, that worked for me. mywifiext.net was working for me until I activated the Fast Lane option. For some reason, after I activated this, I could not longer use the .net link to access the router but your solution worked perfect. I like this device, much easier to use than my old Dlink 1522 bridge (I use the device mainly for the ethernet ports).
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

DMcintos is on a distinguished road

I can access my WN2500 extender via the IP address, 192.168.1.2, but neither the .com or .net address. Both are set up to get their IP address from my ISP so I assume they're getting not only an IP address but using the same subnet mask, 255.255.255.0 - am I wrong?
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:14 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Both are set up to get their IP address from my ISP
Not sure what you mean.