Old June 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

selder is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR4500 Firmware problem

I am not very tech savy so I am having a hard time figuring out what I need to do to fix my router. I tried to update my firmware from the genie site and now my power icon is blinking green. I have seen other threads but have trouble following what to do. I see that other routers had an easier firmware recovery tool, why doesn't this newer and fancier one have it too? I am at a loss as to what to do as the phone people want me to pay for technical support and the router is less than 6 months old, and all I was trying to do was update using the software provided. can someone please explain to a newbie how to reconfigure this router or reinstall the firmware. I am pulling my hair out.
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR4500 Firmware problem

recovery tool are usually in CD that came with router, if not then you have to do TFTP method which are easier for most and for other maybe not.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=30453
same method.

if router is non responsive then you need to all support for RMA exchange
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

thank you for your response however this router does not come with CD as all software was in the router and you use something called genie. I have talked with Support but they would not offer any technical help as they said I would have to pay, and they told me I could not RMA because I would have to do technical support 1st. Catch 22, I seem to be stuck in a loop and all I was trying to do was update my firmware as I was getting intermittent router connection issues...I seem to have made it worse as my router is no longer working only green blinking power light.

I did the hard reset as instructed and it seemed to reset but ended up with blinking green light again.
The TFTP seems a little deep for me as I don't even know how to ping the router as instructed in step 1.
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ok I figured out the ping and got a failed to ping in cmd. It just keeps pinging and failing to respond. I also tried the tftp line but it says it isnt recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file...what ever that means.
Old June 9th, 2012, 12:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I downloaded the TFTP2 program and tried it that way but I get a fail to connect. I think the problem I am having is getting my computer to connect to the router. I used the ethernet cable and set the IP address manualy but I get "Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration" so I assume they are not able to communicate. What a mess this is turning out to be. Why does netgear not have a recovery tool for their top of the line router? I have owned 2 other netgear routers and they all came with a CD, this one doesn't.
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:27 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

best is to contact support get RMA replacement
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

well I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally figured it out...it only took 2 days. I eventually got my cm ping to work after playing around with IP address numbers. Once I saw that I was getting a ping I opened up TFTP2 and attempted to flash the firmware...it took about an hour of constant powering off and on/ hard resetting of router and then all of a sudden I got a successful update. I plugged the router back into the network and everything worked like a charm. In fact I think I have better wifi speeds...lesson learned about updating firmware. Thank you for letting me vent on your site as it was more emotional support than anything else.