Old June 24th, 2012, 04:59 PM

djlajoie is on a distinguished road
Angry WNDR4500 Readyprint with iPad does not work!

One reason I bought this router was becasue it stated the following on the product support page and I quote:

"AirPrint Support—The NETGEAR genie® app enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an iPad or iPhone."

Works fine from a PC but no way no how from an iPad or iPhone as stated by Netgear. The router is working fine for me but the printing is non functional.

Was I duped again by false advertisement?
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

onebyside is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR4500 Readyprint with iPad does not work!

I'm assuming the printer supports wifi and airprint
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM

webbrx is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue. Marketing material and press release dated May 7, 2012 states "NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR), ..., today announced the release of a new NETGEAR Genie® App upgrade that enables printing from an Apple® iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® to any networked or USB printer." I spent $200 on the R6300 router because of this feature. I have installed the genie on both the New iPad and a iPhone 4S. I can print to the printer from my windows networked computer but the AirPrint message states no AirPrint printer found. I tried tech support but they are of no help. They say I have to spend anouther $129 for advanced tech support because it is a third party issue. I argue that its their router, their application how can it be a third party issue. Frequently asked questions and support web pages, instruction manual have zero links to AirPrint .
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:27 AM

webbrx is on a distinguished road

I found the answer on another thread. The solution is to download Netgear Genie on my PC as well. It has a menu on the left that allows you to configure AirPrint. Hopefully Netgear will update their instruction manual and website by adding a sentence or two about AirPrint. It is a great enhancement that should have clear setup instructions. And maybe the level one tech support guys should have some basic instuction as well.
Old August 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

JCH is on a distinguished road

I've started down this road and not off to a good start, and not encouraged by the above posts.
Firstly, the Genie HD app I downloaded onto my iPad 3 won't login to the router. I've logged a ticket with Netgear who say uninstall and reinstall the genie. Notice others are having same issue on R6300 router http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=78197

Once (if) that glitch is fixed, I'm still concerned that the air print to my HP officejet J6480 printer won't work - because the printer is connected to the router via ethernet cable, not wireless. I found that connection method, along with assigning an IP address to the printer, to be the most robust - rather than USB and readyprint options, for my home network. I have turned the wireless function of my HP printer off and having been running successfully for months like that. Fortunately the printer and router are close to each other.

My PC (cable connected to the router) genie shows the printer is available for AirPrint.

Will the fact the iPad3 is using the 5G frequency mean that the airprint won't see the HP printer - because it is on the 2G SSID???
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

stromm is on a distinguished road

JCH, you're contradicting yourself.
You wrote that te printer's WiFi is off and it's connected to an Ethernet port, but then wrote it's on the 2.4GHz SSID...

Which is it?

Anyway, the answer to what I think you're asking is that the 4500 will act as the middleman between your iPad and printer. Wired, 5GHz and 2.4GHz don't matter since the 4500 supports all three and will route traffic between all devices connected to it.
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

You're right stromm. The HP printer has a wireless capability but I've turned it off and have instead connected it by ethernet cable to the 4500. No problems there and have macs wirelessly printing to it via the router.

I am wanting the ipad to airprint, but the genie on my PC says airprint needs to work wirelessly. Am I being pedantic about this interpretation of wording?

I did get the ipad genie to work (login to the router) after tech support suggested I uninstall and then reinstall.

The genie on the ipad doesn't mention airprint at all.

The ipad says I have no airprint printers. Seems the airprint claims are bogus as far as ipad is concerned.
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

daveke is on a distinguished road
Question Re: WNDR4500 Readyprint with iPad does not work!

I, too, am having difficulty getting my iPad to print to my networked printers. When I select the AirPrint menu on the Netgear Genie on my PC, it states that I need to have Apple iTunes and Adobe Acrobat Reader applications installed on my PC. Well, I already have Apple iTunes installed and I actually have Adobe Acrobat X Pro installed, but the Netgear Genie doesn't acknowledge this. Any help would be appreciated. This advertised feature of the WNDR4500 (AirPrint for iPad) was a significant reason behind my purchase of this product and I sincerely hope that I can get it to work.
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ftropea is on a distinguished road

I was able to get this feature working by installing the Netgear Genie on a Mac Mini but not on a Windows XP machine which I'm trying to have run as the server instead (there is a service that runs in the background that enables the feature and I'd rather it not always run on my mac).

It was straightforward on the Mac. Installed Genie, selected my printer which is was able see on the network (a wifi connected Canon Pixma MX883 - not an AirPrint printer), and then immediately from my iPhone and iPads, I could go to the print option and see the Canon - and it works great.

But, on the Windows XP system, I installed the Netgear Genie and got the same message about needing to have iTunes and Adobe Acrobat Reader installed (both of which were installed already). Just to experiment, I remove both and reinstalled them from the links suggested by the Genie, but no go - doesn't see the apps are there or there is a bug in the Genie.

So I'm thinking this is a bug in the Windows version of the Genie since, like I said, it works perfect when running the Genie on a Mac.

Tomorrow I'm going to be setting up a new Windows server running Windows 7 Ultimate. I'll try to install the Genie on that box and see whether it works or not.
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:51 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Tech response has as usual been very quick. First response was identical to what is kept in the kb. Second response I got was this ...
Your iPad is a version 2 or the newest tablet released by Apple which is not yet supported by NETGEAR Genie nor airprint.
My ipad is the 'new' ipad - so it seems not YET supported - keep fingers crossed that will change. At least I didn't get the option of paying for further support.
I am running XP on the PC that is wired to the router and this is the PC that I used to select airprint. It has me completely bemused why I need to check a box in genie running on a PC that may or may not even be turned on, in order to run air print on a completely different peripheral (ipad) - but what the hey! Perhaps I should try and select air print after running genie on one of the macs also on the network and see if I have the same joy as ftropea. More fingers crossed.