Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11ac Routers > R6300 - AC1750

Old July 6th, 2012, 04:30 PM

SimplyBlue is on a distinguished road
Default 5ghz wireless network disappears

So I have been having a consistent issue with my R6300 where the 5ghz network just disappears randomly. It happens during different times of the day regardless of whether the router is being heavily used for streaming or just sitting idle. I have had it suddenly disconnect on my while gaming or finding my laptop disconnected from the network when I wake up in the morning. On checking the web portal, it shows the 5ghz network up and running. Power cycling the router or disabling/enabling SSID broadcast usually gets it back online. I have already done the following -

- Upgraded to latest firmware
- Reset to factory defaults
- Downgraded to original firmware
- Returned and got a new R6300
- Turned off my iPhone 4s that connects to the 2.4Ghz network
- Set preamble to short for both networks
- I can connect to the 2.4ghz network and get to the Internet out perfectly fine

Before you say that it is my PC, I have two laptops(Dell and Sager) with different wireless cards that recognize/connect to the 5ghz network. Both of them notice the network disappearing. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can do before I go ahead and return this router as well? I find it strange that I am having the same issue even after replacing the router with another one.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:49 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5ghz wireless network disappears

try totally different dual band capable wifi adapter pc and try again

ask try different wireless speed as well
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:49 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77339
here is recent post to 5Ghz issues by other user

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM

SimplyBlue is on a distinguished road

Called Netgear and they had me drop the MTU to 1492. I believe I had already tried bumping the speed down as well as trying a different channel but I'll go ahead and make that change and see what happens. Also, I have another laptop that connects to this 5Ghz network and it experiences the same issue.
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

MTU has nothing to do with wireless connectivity or scan your SSID on either of bands

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

madhatter is on a distinguished road

I noticed tonight that I was having a SEVERE problem with timeouts on a 5GHz device running a WNDA3100 V1.

The channel that was selected was 153. I changed it to channel 40 and that fixed the 5GHz problem. At least for now.
Old July 9th, 2012, 12:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Bobat is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue with the R6300 on the 5Ghz radio. It'll be fine for a few days, then it'll drop off. A reboot of the router brings it back to normal.

I don't like the idea of having to switch to channel 40 since that's a lower powered channel and will have an impact on performance.

It's really frustrating because after a reboot I get a 70% signal strength on the 5Ghz radio and only 50-60% on the 2.4Ghz radio on my HTPC. I'm holding out to see if there's another firmware update before my 30 day return policy from Amazon is up. Otherwise it's going back.
Old July 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Bobat is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue with the R6300 on the 5Ghz radio. It'll be fine for a few days, then it'll drop off. A reboot of the router brings it back to normal.

I don't like the idea of having to switch to channel 40 since that's a lower powered channel and will have an impact on performance.

It's really frustrating because after a reboot I get a 70% signal strength on the 5Ghz radio and only 50-60% on the 2.4Ghz radio on my HTPC. I'm holding out to see if there's another firmware update before my 30 day return policy from Amazon is up. Otherwise it's going back.
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobat View Post

I really just started using my 5Ghz machine today. After reading your post about not wanting to use channel 40 I went back in and changed mine to channel 161. It seems to be working the same way channel 40 did, in other words it's working fine on 161. I went back into my wndr3700 and looked at the config there and 161 is what I was using on that router before it gave up its ghost.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
I really just started using my 5Ghz machine today. After reading your post about not wanting to use channel 40 I went back in and changed mine to channel 161. It seems to be working the same way channel 40 did, in other words it's working fine on 161. I went back into my wndr3700 and looked at the config there and 161 is what I was using on that router before it gave up its ghost.
Nope, 5GHz went out after 5 hours of sitting idle. Going back tomorrow.