Old July 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jester56 is on a distinguished road
Default R6300 Big Bandwith Problem

I purchased an R6300 for my home. I have 100 Mbps service from Charter. I have ethernet cable from the Cisco modem to the router and the same from the router to my main PC and a TIVO. My problem is that I'm getting HALF the performance I should be getting. With the router inline, speed tests give me 45-50 Mbps. When I take the router out and go direct from the modem to the PC, I get 90-95 Mbps. Remember that this is all hardline (Cat 5E) that works great directly from the router.

I addressed this with Netgear support and gave up after three days when the tech told me he "had to check his resources and his supervisor and would call me back in ten minutes". That was this morning. After no retrun call, I brought the router back to Best Buy and they asked that I swap it and see if the problem still existed. I did and it still does. I'm ready to bring it back tommorow because I'm totally frustrated with this.

Can anyone help me out with this. I love the router and don't want to bring it back. But there's only so many hours in a day that I can continue to mess with this.

Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ephone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: R6300 Big Bandwith Problem

How do you test the performance, some web service like speedtest.net?
Were you testing it on one Ethernet client only (no other clients attached)?
Do you have any special Router settings other than default?
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, I do use Speedtest.net, the same one that Charter uses. And it uses Charter's server.

I tested it several ways. With just the one machine, then in different configurations that included (or not) another Ethernet machine attached through a gigabit switch; A TIVO DVR on Ethernet cable; and several wireless clients - another PC using a Range Max WiFi adapter and 3 or 4 iPhone/iPad/WiFi printer clients. My testing though, has been with just the one PC with the Ethernet cable.

I have the current firmware and the only change that was ever made to the settings was the MTU - from 1500 to 1400, at the phone tech's request. That did nothing and I'm on the second router now with no change.
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

And FWIW, I just ran speedtest.net on the machine with the Range Max Wireless Adapter and it's running 57-60 Mbps; Faster than the hardwired machine...
Old July 17th, 2012, 03:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well I know that this won't get "approved" but the forum help looks as good as the help I got from Netgear support - non existent. I have what is supposed to be the flagship of the Netgear home line and I am about to bring the second one back to the store where I bought it. Buyer beware...
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have similar results w/ or w/o R6300 on speedtest.net.
According to smallnetbuilder the router has around 800 Mbps WAN <-> LAN routing performance, and with it's gigabit ethernet ports, it should not be a problem for the router to handle the provisioned speeds from most ISPs.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...review?start=1

Wonder if it is Ethernet PHY IOT related... What's your PC's Ethernet adapter? Try to fix it to 1.0 Gbps/full duplex or 100 Mbps/full duplex.
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM

bboales is on a distinguished road

i started a thread just before this regarding performance on my same router. i have 105mbps connex from comcast, tested across 5 separate devices independently with 1.0gps ethernet connex, and i am only receiving 50% of my signal. i too am about to return this $200 router, extremely frustrating how difficult it is to get any type of help from Netgear support. This forum has awesome members, but so far the only suggestion of disabling WMM has not bared any fruit.
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well, I brought the first one back to B*** B** and exchanged it for another router. I believe it is a problem inherent to these R6300 units. I pulled it off the line and replaced it with a "Gamers Lounge" and got 90-95 Mbps. After exchanging it for another of a different make, again - I got 90-95. All of my gear is gigabit where it can be and I'm using Cat 5e Ethernet cables. Again, the only link in the chain that could have caused this problem is the R6300. Thats' two units off the shelf at B*** B** and taken out of a potential sale. Sooner or later, someone with Netgear might figure out that they should look at these. The flagship of the line hit an iceberg in my book... Thanks to the members that tried to help. I really do appreciate it. I'm angry about companies that don't consider that you come to them to buy a product expecting it to function. When it flops and you return it, YOU have to spend time and gasoline to revisit them for the return. And if you work with them and try another unit just the same and IT flops, I'd expect nothing short of patience and and a smile. Unfortunately, I got neither.
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jester, do you see it takes longer for your Ethernet client adapter to negotiate with the R6300 than the other two routers? i.e. when plugging into the Ethernet cable, it takes more time for the 'network icon' at the system tray to display connected (and get the ip).

Is your PC's Ethernet adapter an Intel one? Or what model/make?
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

madhatter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboales View Post
i started a thread just before this regarding performance on my same router. i have 105mbps connex from comcast, tested across 5 separate devices independently with 1.0gps ethernet connex, and i am only receiving 50% of my signal. i too am about to return this $200 router, extremely frustrating how difficult it is to get any type of help from Netgear support. This forum has awesome members, but so far the only suggestion of disabling WMM has not bared any fruit.

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by the phrase: "i am only receiving 50% of my signal"

What signal are you referring to and how are you measuring it?