Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Adapters > RangeMax Adapters

Old July 7th, 2012, 12:52 AM

scott64 is on a distinguished road
Default WN3000RP set-up issue

I have tried for days to set-up a WN3000RP to connect to my Netcomm NB9W ADSL2+ wireless broadband mdoem with VOIP gateway. I use MAC filtering on the base router with Open security. After numerous e-mails to support I've still had no sucess. Everytime I get through to the last configuration step and I get the message "Cannot connect to the internet, move the Extender closer to the router". Well I don't know how to move the Extender closer to the router as it is sitting right next to it - IT CANNOT GET ANY CLOSER! Today I updated the firmware on the Extender by connecting my laptop to the extender via an ethernet cable. I then did a hard reset on the extender and went through the configuration process. The Extender sees my home network and the latop connects to the Extenders network and when I get to the final step is still says it cannot connect to the internet, move the extender closer to the router. I checked the wireless station info on the base router and the extenders MAC address is listed under the BSSID but nothing shows under the Associated or Authorized columns. Thinking the Extender might need to work with security I reset the base router security to WPA-PSK with AES encryption. I then did a hard reset on the Extender and went through the configuration again. The Extender recognised the security change to the network and the configuration went well until the final step when it couldn't connect to the internet. I'm so frustrated trying to set-up this device. I don't know what to try next. I noticed on the status page on the extender under settings that the gateway IP address is 0.0.0.0 and the Domain Name Server is 0.0.0.0. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or what I should try next? I did find the virtual MAC address for my laptop and entered this into the MAC address table on the base router even though I had disabled the MAC filtering. By the way I have entered the MAC address of the Extender into the MAC address table on the router.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WN3000RP set-up issue

you dod not have to cross referent a extender .

you should simply scan your existing SSID and use passphrase set on main wireless router and connect. _you can use WPA2 to connect

they way you did was repeating which will LIMITS to WEP or not security
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:35 PM

scott64 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry I don't understand your explanation. What do you mean I shouldn't corss reference the extender? Do you mean i should take its MAC address out of the base router? When I don't have any security on it will still not connect?
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:31 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

you can JOIN the network but scan the SSID and type your encryption key or use WPS

what you are doing to REPEATING which are limited to WEP or no encryption

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old July 20th, 2012, 05:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

alanladd is on a distinguished road

Hi jmizoguchi,
I have also had this problem. I have tried again and again and again to get past the last section of set-up but to no avail. I have my security settings using WPA2.
I would love for someone to give a clear explanation as to how we, the customers and users, can get past this issue!!
I even had a three hour "Live Chat" session with a Netgear Techie and he couldn't help either. He told me to bring the unit back to the shop for replacement but having read this and other posts I don't think that will help.

Regards,
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

suggest to change wireless wireless mode and use WPA2

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy