Old July 31st, 2012, 01:06 PM

Mockey is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Wireless N300 recognized but won't connect

I have a westell versalink 327w router on my main pc. I purchased a second pc that runs win XP and a Netgear N300 USB wireless adapter so I could connect to the internet from another room. The installation was successfull, my network is secure and recognized by adapter with excellent signal strength and all settings are correct. However, it won't let me connect. If I choose another network that is not secured, it will allow me to connect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a newbie when it comes to this so please forgive my ignorance. Thanks.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wireless N300 recognized but won't connect

N adapter is NOT 802.11b adapter. It is N adapter and belongs to http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:23 AM

econgeek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless N300 recognized but won't connect

detNATE

Re: I got the WNDA3100V2 to work
Success!
I have finally figured how to get this thing to work.
Hopefully I can help somebody, somewhere with this information.

Okay so I had been trying to get the WNDA3100v2
to work for a few hours, to no avail.
I was able to install the driver and what not, but I kept on
getting hung up on the screen in the Setup Wizard that asks you to
"Plug in the USB adapter and press next" or whatever.
It would begin to try and "detect" the adapter, but it would just sit for a while until the Wizard felt like informing me that the WNDA3100v2 could not be detected.

I then went on to try all of the advice I found on this website and through search engines, regarding this problem. This is what eventually worked for me.

1) Uninstall any drivers that may be installed for the WNDA3100v2 through Add/Remove Programs.

2) Download the latest driver through Support.Netgear.Com
At this time, that was version 2.0.0.1 *Do not install yet*
(Though the driver that comes with on the install disc may work correctly after you follow these steps.)

3) Go to your Device Manager and un-fold the "Network Adapters" topic.
Disable everything that you see. Alternatively, you can click around the icon that brings you to where your wireless connections should be until it takes you to your network adapters. Just disable them all.

4) Deactivate all your firewalls, making sure not to forget the built in Windows Firewall. Your internet shouldn't be working at this point so you should be fine. Just don't forget to reactivate it all to your liking when you are done.

5) Deactivate any Anti-Virus programs you may be running. Though, I actually deleted my AVG Anti-Virus JSYK, just to rule it out. You probably don't have to.

6) Then I simply installed the driver again, with the WNDA 3100v2 unplugged again obviously. Plug it in once more when prompted, and waited for the little message saying that the drivers were correctly installed. At this point though, you will still get the message saying the device is still undetectable, so don't bother pressing "next" on the Install Wizard.

7) Go back to the Device Manager and notice that the WNDA 3100v2 shows up under the "Network Adapters" topic. Right click on the WNDA 3100v2 icon and click Properties. From here click on the "Power Save" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", along with any others that fall along those lines.

8) Okay so this is the part that finally made the WNDA3100v2 detectable to my computer. Press and hold the "Windows" key, then press the "R" key. Now once you are in the "Run" window, type in services.msc
This should populate a giant list called "Services".
I scrolled through the list and set the "Startup Type" of the following to "Always"...

-WLAN AutoConfig
-WWan AutoConfig
-Function Discovery Resource Publication
-Network Store Interface Service

(Keep in mind that only some of those four processes, or all of those four have something to do with making the WNDA 3100v2 detectable. All I know is that as soon as changed those to "Always", life started looking better. If anybody can elaborate or correct my advice, it would be gladly appreciated.)

9) At this point I restarted my computer, while leaving the WNDA 3100v2 plugged into a USB Port. Once Windows finishes booting up, a new screen should hopefully automatically pop up listing all of the available wireless networks. If that is the case, then I just taught customer service a thing or two. Haha.

I sincerely hope everybody can find a solution to this problem regarding the WNDA 3100v2 not being detected, it was really getting on my nerves. I'll try to help if anybody has any questions that can't easily be answered by Alta Vista lol. I really hope I saved somebody a trip to the return aisle. Goodbye.