Old August 27th, 2012, 06:14 AM

cricket90 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Netgear 7550 B90 - No wireless for Windows 7 computers

My phone company (Frontier Communications) recently gave us a Netgear 7550 modem to replace our (very) obsolete Netgear modem. Our old one had been starting to show signs of burning out, but I had always had excellent wireless coverage with it. The repairman told me that the new modem would have even better wireless capabilities, but I quickly found that this was not the case - the signal will only work if I have a clear line of sight to the modem with no walls in the way. The real problem, however, is that I can't connect my Windows 7 laptop to the wireless. The wired connection works fine, but every time I try to connect to the wireless, the computer says "Windows was unable to connect" and suggests I restart the modem, usually without even giving me a chance to try to enter the password. It detects the signal (as long as there are no walls in the way) but just can't make a connection. Here are some fixes I've tried with no results:

Restarting the modem
Unplugging and replugging the modem
Enabling the "shared" setting on my computer's WEP options
Switching the modem's connection from WEP to WPA
Switching it back
Turning off all security
Restarting my laptop
Manually creating a wireless connection on my laptop
Switching the modem out for a new 7550
Trying to connect another Win7 laptop (the same thing happened)

That's all the attempted solutions I can remember right now, there were probably more. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:32 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Netgear 7550 B90 - No wireless for Windows 7 computers

These models are ISP oem models. You should complain to your ISP support that you can not connect and/or replace with standard DSL modem and buy choice of your wireless router from retail store.

disable any third party firewall is a suggestion and WPA2