Old September 5th, 2012, 11:01 PM
NETGEAR User

tamanaco is on a distinguished road
Default WD My Passport 1.5TB not recognized by WNDR4500

I have a WD Passport 500GB USB 2.0 drive formatted NTFS and it's recognized by the WNDR4500 and works without any issues. The 500GB drive is now completely full, so I decided to replace it with a WD My Passport 1.5TB with USB 3.0. This drive is also formatted NTFS and it's recognized by the USB 3.0 and 2.0 of my laptop; as it should since USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0. This new 1.5TB drive is also recognized by all the other computers in my house with USB 2.0 without a hitch. But... when I connect it to either of the USB ports of the WNDR4500 router, the LED light blinks for a few seconds and then stays on solid. The ReadyShare status show No USB Drive. My understanding is that this router supports drives up to 2TB. Does anyone has a WD My Passport drive of 1TB or more working with this router?
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ftropea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WD My Passport 1.5TB not recognized by WNDR4500

Try formatting to FAT32 instead of NTFS. Please post back if it works or not. I had an issue with my Seagate Goflex 3TB not being recognized by the WNDR4500, having formatted it a couple of different ways (NTFS and also Journal for Mac), but after formatting to FAT32 (and in my case portioning into two drives), the router detected it again.

Again, if you don't mind, please post back to confirm whether or not that works as it might help others.
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

schmieg is on a distinguished road

Also, some of the Passport drives have a hidden partition on them that can mess up recognition by various devices. You might want to check that out as well.
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:58 PM
NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftropea
Try formatting to FAT32 instead of NTFS. Please post back if it works or not. I had an issue with my Seagate Goflex 3TB not being recognized by the WNDR4500, having formatted it a couple of different ways (NTFS and also Journal for Mac), but after formatting to FAT32 (and in my case portioning into two drives), the router detected it again.

Again, if you don't mind, please post back to confirm whether or not that works as it might help others.
FAT32 is not an option for me. My understanding is that the WNDR4500 supports FAT32/NTFS/Ext2 partitions of up to 2TB. I know that there are tools that allow me to create FAT32 "partitions" that are larger than 32GB, but the "file size" limit for FAT32 files is still 4GB. I have a bunch of Sci-Fi Hi-Def movies ripped from Bluray discs that are larger than 4GB. I would format it Ext2, but I connect this drive to the USB 3.0 port of my Windows laptop when I want to transfer large files quickly. I also take it work which is also a Windows only environment. I had no issues with the 500GB drive formatted NTFS other than somewhat slow speeds when I copying large files over network while the drive is attached to the router. And of course, the drive is now full of multimedia files that I don't want to delete. I stream movies and music from this drive attached to the router using DLNA and SMB to different devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmieg
Also, some of the Passport drives have a hidden partition on them that can mess up recognition by various devices. You might want to check that out as well.
I used disk management tools and fdisk to look at the partition(s) on the WD My Passport drive and there is only "one" partition.

Btw, I submitted a ticket to Netgear support regarding this issue and initially they responded by directing me to a list that shows that the WNDR4500 works/supports six drives . http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985 - I replied telling them that that response was unacceptable and that given the number of USB 2.0 external drives in the market they should have a short list of "unsupported" drives. The short list should be the exceptions not the rule. The support person wrote back telling me that he's bringing the issue to the next level of support.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Just wanted to backtrack and share something I learned. You can indeed format your drive NTFS, but what seems to matter more is that the partition format be MBR and not GPT. Also, the primary partition should be set as Active.

I figured this out when giving Time Machine another shot in an attempt to get it to backup to my Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB attached to the WNDR4500 router. I finally got it to work and will post about it in a different thread.
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:49 PM
NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftropea View Post
Just wanted to backtrack and share something I learned. You can indeed format your drive NTFS, but what seems to matter more is that the partition format be MBR and not GPT. Also, the primary partition should be set as Active.
Good tip, but I just double-checked the partition of the My Passport 1.5TB drive and it's MBR and set to Primary Active.
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Grrrr, understood. It has to be something because I've experienced both my drive not being recognized, and then being recognized by this finicky router... so there hope.
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:37 AM
NETGEAR User

Got the WD My Passport 1.5TB to work with the router, but don't know "exactly" what fix it. I factory reset the router and went back to firmware 1.0.1.18 "official" to test the 1.5TB drive, but it did not work. Given the WOL issues with this release, I factory reset again and re-installed firmware 1.0.1.18_TM beta. Before configuring the router, I factory reset the router again and attached the drive. To my surprise, when I opened the Router Basic Home page the ReadySHARE status showed the drive as "READY"... I just finished configuring the router and everything appears to be working fine. It's strange because I had factory reset this router at least 3 times, but I had not gone back to the previous firmware or attached the drive before configuring the router for internet connection. Go figure.
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well, that's enough to drive anyone nuts.

In my case, I know it was a formatting/partition issue because the router went from recognizing the GoFlex new out of the box, to not recognizing it once I started formatting/preparing on my Mac for use with Time Machine, to seeing again once I formatted MBR/Primary Partition Active.

Either way, it almost makes you want to not touch anything once you get it working again, lol.