Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sivel is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR4500 Access Control feature

I have the WNDR4500 and have had no luck getting the Access Control feature that’s located in the Network Map tab to work in either the Windows desktop version of Netgear Genie or the Android Genie App. There is a box that can be checked to enable Access Control in both Apps but they both fail the exact way, they first show checked when clicked on and then…please wait and then spinning…then time out after maybe 30 seconds without any notification and then go back to being unchecked.

Am I doing something wrong? I have opened a couple of tickets with tier two Netgear support but the best they could tell me is that they were able to duplicate the issue as explained but no fix. They advertise this feature in their Netgear Genie videos at http://www.netgear.com/landing/genie/default.aspx and the mobile App video linked on the same page to Youtube.

I have asked Netgear if they can tell me if they truly have a model that these features work but as of yet they can’t confirm that they do or not.

Has anyone seen the access control feature work, if so on what device?

I’m not looking for MAC filtering as most any routers can do that.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 05:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Kottonsocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR4500 Access Control feature

I have exactly the same issue. I don't even know what this is supposed to do, but whatever, it doesn't work.
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sivel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottonsocks View Post
I have exactly the same issue. I don't even know what this is supposed to do, but whatever, it doesn't work.
It's an advertised feature that is supposed to let you not only see what devices are connected to your network but control them or disallow them. In their video it shows the ability of checking your network from your phone remotely and kicking off users like your kids or their friends. This is the primary reason I spent the extra money on this model that includes the Genie so I can manage one of my children's usage when Im not away.

If this model doesn't work then what I'm trying to find out from Netgear or anyone is does it work on any of there models. I'm starting to think that they have misguided me with their Genie press release and there advertising.
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Netgearhater2 is on a distinguished road

We have exactly the same problem. We would like to set parental controls on our child's computer only, which we could if the access control feature worked, but now we're blocked when she is.
Sivel...I'm impressed you have an open ticket with Support, as I have been unable to find any type of support for this router. We also bought it primarily for what we thought was better parental controls. How did you find support?
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

maddly2002 is on a distinguished road

Exact same thing happens with my brand new 4500 that I bought for the same reasons. I thought it would simplify managing my 4 kids accounts and thier friends, but since it doesn't work.........another Netgear FAIL.
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:12 AM

tomfrankjon is on a distinguished road

I also tried the support service but could not got my issue solved yet. You are lucky to have a support staff. May be we can have a lookup for it over the web, as we are trying now.

Last edited by Mars Mug; October 21st, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BillNole is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: WNDR4500 Access Control feature

I tried support to see if this has been resolved, or they had a suggestion and had no luck. They directed me to access control under advanced features in the router via browser connection, which isn't really what their "commercial" for NetGear Genie suggests.

I would like to have this available via NetGear Genie so my wife could log off the kids as needed when chores weren't completely satisfactorily or some other reason. I'd rather her be able to just kick them out from the Genie, than have to access the router, where she'll probably just get lost. (She's the smartest woman I know, but has no interest in anything beyond username and password...)

Oh well, it's disappointing that NetGear appears to be ignoring requests to fix and provide what was promised. I'll get over it though as I'm used to being disappointed by product suppliers...

Seems unfair that I'd lose customers if I continued to disappoint!
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM

makbigmak is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: WNDR4500 Access Control feature

Ya, same thing happens to me. Got the time out message when I clicked the Access Control button. Spent the extra money to get a new router and hope to have a better control of my kid's internet time spend. Not a happen customer, waste of money.
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:30 AM
NETGEAR User

shadowsports is on a distinguished road

Running 1.0.1.20 firmware and latest version iPhone App... Not working here either.
1 x WNDR4500 v2 f/w 1.0.0.42
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5
16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+, Corsair TX850w
EVGA GTX660 FTW SIG2, Case: HAF 922
2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot)
1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult.
*Surface Pro2 128
NAS
#1 QNAP TS-219P-II 4TB WD RED - f/w 4.0.2
Back Up for NAS1-4TB My Book
#2 D-Link 323 4TB
Phone
HTC One M8

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:46 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

BretAlexa is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. Bear with me...first forum post.

I attempted to use customer support in order to enable 'Access Control' via the NetGear Genie...the only solution was to reinstall the Genie, which never works (tried it several times with rebooting in-between installs.)
The only solution I've found is this:
1. Open your Genie.
2. Click on 'Network Map'
3. Right-click on the router, choose 'setting'
4. This will open a log-in to your router in a browser (IE, FireFox,)
5. Select 'Advanced' instead of 'Basic' (from the top 2 tabs), You may be prompted for logon info...defaults or whatever you entered when setting up your router.
6. Select 'Advanced Setup'
7. Select 'Wireless Settings'
8. Scroll to 'Wireless Card Access List', click on 'Set Up Access List' button
***HERE'S WHAT WORKS***
9. Add the computers/phones/tablets that you want to give 'dedicated' wifi. An easy route to find this information is to go back to your Genie Network map and right-click on each attached device. If you're trying to limit your kid's so they'll do chores and homework, don't add their devices to this list.
10. Click on the 'Turn Access Control On' box and click apply.
11. Wait for the complaints that people just got kicked off the wifi (you'll know when it works)
12. Logout of the page (button in top right of browser).

I'd suggest changing the router logon information & writing it down in a secure place...it'll keep your kiddos from getting back on.

Let me know if it works for you, or if I need to post some screenshots with directions.

Happy blocking! Hope your kids will clean their rooms now!