Old September 21st, 2012, 07:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

velomark is on a distinguished road
Default How to assign Static IP Addresses to certain Devices

I recently purchased the R6300 and want to set up time limits for when my kids can access the internet, while not limiting the devices my wife and I use. I figured out, by reading the manual, how to block a range of IP addresses from a specified service (Http) according to a schedule. Because IP addresses are randomly assigned, I need to make sure my kids devices are assigned IP addresses within the limited range but the adults are not. I am unable to find the procedure in the user manual. Technical support does not seem to understand this. Is this possible??

Thanks

Velo
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:29 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to assign Static IP Addresses to certain Devices

The probable reason why tech support cannot understand is that you are using the term static address incorrectly.

You cannot assign a static address to a device using the router - any device that gets it's address from the router is doing so using the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), which means it's getting a dynamic address.

Static addresses have to be set at whatever device will have the address - assuming that you can configure a static address on that device, for example, I've never found a way to set a static address on my android tablet (mind you, I haven't looked very hard).

If you want the router to assign the same address to a device every time, you need to use what is called DHCP reservations, or reserved DHCP addresses - see if you find that in the manual. And - by the way - it will probably take your kids less time to figure out how to defeat your control, that it takes you to set it up.
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:47 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

recently found cool service
http://www.mobicip.com

you might even like this better than tradition all ports blocking and time schedule
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM

EthernetIp is on a distinguished road

Although I do not have the router in front of it, all the ones that I've touched had the "static" ip option.
In short the Router identifies the MAC during the DHCP and assigns the device with this MAC a specific predefined IP, thus making it work as static IP. (not true static, but it works).
If you assign a device a static IP, but DHCP on router is not skipping this static IP then you will end up with IP collision, so not a good idea. If you go this route the easiest is to go to routers DHCP section and make it start at say x.x.x.20
the assign your "static" device Ip at x.x.x.10 or something less then 20...
Typically the option is somewhere under the DHCP section.
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM

simply two of doing this

static IP on DEVICE side must be outside of DHCP range

specific IP pushing to DEVICE side from the router must be use within DHCP with address reservation under LAN setup
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthernetIp View Post
Although I do not have the router in front of it, all the ones that I've touched had the "static" ip option.
In short the Router identifies the MAC during the DHCP and assigns the device with this MAC a specific predefined IP, thus making it work as static IP. (not true static, but it works).
If you assign a device a static IP, but DHCP on router is not skipping this static IP then you will end up with IP collision, so not a good idea. If you go this route the easiest is to go to routers DHCP section and make it start at say x.x.x.20
the assign your "static" device Ip at x.x.x.10 or something less then 20...
Typically the option is somewhere under the DHCP section.
Do I really need to explain further? Do you really feel you need to further obfuscate the issue?

Let's call a spade, a spade.

It's either static - or it's not - if it's static, then it doesn't need a DHCP server - if it's dependent on a DHCP server, it's dynamic.

IF YOU'RE SETTING IT AT THE ROUTER IT IS NOT STATIC.

Last edited by fordem; September 27th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

varase is on a distinguished road

Well, it's a fixed IP assignment by MAC address. I used to do it all the time for printers on an ISC DHCP setup (when the admins didn't realize they could manually configure our RX printers).

What I do on my R6300 is set the dynamic range from 150-250, then assign fixed addresses below the dynamic range. You do this by entering the MAC address for the device (or turning it on and picking from a list) and assigning it a name and a fixed IP address. For this setup, you'd pick an address 2-149 or 251-254 (I'd use 2-149 ... start at 2 and work your way up).

Try to keep the fixed address assignments from colliding with the dynamic IP addresses - it's programmatically possible to prevent fixed addresses from colliding with dynamic assignments, but why put yourself in the path of the truck?
Old September 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM

When you use address reservation on router , ip you choose must be within the dhcp range

Only use outside the dhcp range when you setup static ip in each device itself
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

varase is on a distinguished road

Beg to differ, but I'm currently using a dynamic address range of 150-250, and DHCP has (per my instructions) assigned the device with my MAC address 192.168.1.13.

There can be no danger of collision if the fixed address assignments are out of the dyanamic range.
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM

If rules took out of dchp range for ip then that is fine bit just about all Netgear home end router should use with dhcp pool to function