Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jmlow54 is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR4700 / NetGear Genie - New Inst

I have upgraded my home network to the WNDR4700, and I'm still a little gray in a couple of areas -

1) I believe the SATA enclosure is a great thing. What I don't know is:
1a) Has a MTBF (mean-time-between-failures) analysis been conducted to determine the effectivness of the cooling for an installed device?
1b) I didn't see SSD drives listed (though that may be a user-malfunction) for supported devices. Has anyone tried using an SSD with the WNDR4700 SATA installation?
1c) My primary focus for backup is well supported by Acronis currently. However, having a SATA drive installed would broaden my home network backup capability. This is providing that a SATA installed drive is addressable the same as an external USB connected drive (allowing read/write if any data, not just backup data). Is it?

2) The second part of my inquiry is the NetGear Genie product (v2.2.26.50). While it has a great GUI for us poorly humans, and it offers a clear and concise connection to the WNDR4700, there remain a couple of unknowns for me:
2a) I have the WNDR4700 configured to support: i) 5.0GHz (pri); ii) 2.4GHz (sec); iii) Guest Network (2.4GHz). While the Guest network is not an issue; what I'm having difficulty with is obtaining configuration for my 5.0GHz configuration via NetGear Genie. What shows is the (SSID changed from original setting to: <SSID> (2.4GHz) and <SSID>-5G (5.0GHz)) SSID 2.4GHz configuration settings. Not much of that either. How would I access the 5.0GHz configuration data from NetGear Genie?
2b) I had to install some advanced configuration changes to the WNDR4700 (e.g. QoS changes and a couple of others also) in order to provide maximum throughput for my Company's CISCO router (plugged into a wired connection). However, NetGear Genie does not seem to have an "advanced" mode access. This appears to be only from a browser connection (192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net). Are there plans to update the NetGear Genie to permit access to the Advanced (or all) Features provided in the router?

Thank you for clarifying this information.

It is appreciated.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Aurora420 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR4700 / NetGear Genie - New Inst

Great to see customers already purchasing these, hope you enjoy it!!

Before I reply to some of your questions, I have one for you!

How easy was it for you to connect the internal HDD? I ask because this was one thing that gave many users hassle during the beta, and we as testers were not able to see/use NETGEAR's final solution on this. Just wondered if it was easy to connect/insert, and did it work on the first try for you? Did you notice a metal spring/bar inside near the HDD connections?

OK, onto some of your questions!

1a. I am not sure what studies have been done in that regard, but it shouldn't be too big of a concern as the fan will ramp up as heat increases. If you want, I can PM you a link to the fan control page of the router, in case you think you want to increase the fan speed above auto, let me know!

1b. I tested several SSD's with the router, and did not have a problem with any that I tested! I think any SSD should work, but I guess there could be some conflict with a SSD firmware possibly? But again, no problems here with several sizes and brands, so if you intend to use one I'm confident it will work fine for you!

1c. You may read/write any data you want to the internal HDD/SDD! That can be done with programs, manually via network shares, ect

2a. I believe they may be still working on 5GHz Genie setting availability. For now the quickest solution to change those settings would be in the web GUI.

2b. You will need to inquire with NETGEAR directly about future Genie features, as I believe this is a end user to user forum only (So no actual employees)

Hope some of that helps, I'm sure others will chime in to help as well!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:11 AM
NETGEAR User

Razor512 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if netgear did any longevity testing (though with the hardware in it, I don't thing they were working on it long enough to meet the average lifespan of a hard drive.

I feel that the most they can do other than keeping the temperatures under control (which the fan does pretty well), is add a idle spindown on the hard drive. This will save power and extend the life of the hard drive.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

In response:
Connecton Ease: It would be easier to have a small LED in the back of the device that would permit visibility into the slot for the SATA drive. That way, fumbling around for a flashlight to make sure the disk is oriented properly wouldn't be necessary. Once known, it was snug/firm but easy. Perhaps more "tactile or auditory feedback" at time of insertion is needed so over stressing the connection/slot doesn't occur.

[The SSD question was for academic curiosity only at this time. Right now, capacities are not what is needed for the purpose of the network based drive - at least in my environment...]

First time: It powered up and appeared to work w/o issue; though I removed it almost immediately in favor of my previous USB connection until I could get my questions answerd. Now that I know the internal drive can be accessed like the USB connection, I'll re-insert it; setup my drive URL, and go from there. The drive also doubles as a home entertainment repository.

Metal Spring/Board: It was present and visible when I used my flash light to confirm orientation of the drive.

A link to the fan control would be great! The environment where installed tends toward the higher temp end, and having greater volume of air flow will assist in disipating the heat. I generally have three wired and eight wireless connections active at any one time; and they may be doing any number of things. The highest volume of traffic is from my CISCO router (wired); and it has the highest priority in the QoS settings.

Thank You! I really appreciate your quick response; and yes, I'm excited about the new router.

Remote connections are stronger and more capable than with the WNDR4500 (now relegated to a backup role).

I just WISH my location was more "wired". Right now my ISP connection is a 5.0GHz radio on top of a 65' pole; and the maximum dn/up speed is no where near the capability of the router. Oh, well - there are other perks in living in a rural home...

Again, Thank You for your time! I really appreciate it!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Thanks for the info on the disk slot, it sounds like they have made some improvements as the mentioned (Wish I could see inside your internals haha)! I guess for us beta testers to be really certain on what's changed we'll have to wait until we hear from one of us that has purchased a retail unit. It's great to hear they were able to correct the issues with HDD connecting though, it's very finicky in our beta units!

Yes, you should really take advantage of the internal slot with a HDD or SSD, especially since it's there and functions as easily as it does!

I'll PM you the link to the fan control page, I'd post here but I'm not sure they want that floating around so openly. Since they've left it accessible I'm sure they don't mind users having access, but since it's hidden still I don't want to post it openly as I'm sure it could cause issues if disabled.

Be aware though, it will get louder if you increase the fan speed! That was one of the major issues many had during testing, it was loud before they added the fan control, and even at minimum was still loud for many users. Since you mention it's hot there, and want some control, I'm sure you already expected this anyway but just wanted to give you a heads up.

Hopefully a fellow beta tester who's purchased a retail unit will joins us here sometime soon, so we can find out if they changed the fan at all, and how they changed the HDD connection as well.

Great to hear you are enjoying the router so far! It's always nice to hear from other users after participating in a beta and helping improve a product.

Also I'm glad I could help you with some of your questions, and thanks again for the info on your HDD connection! If you have anymore issues let us know and we'll try to help!

PM coming your way now on that fan control!
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Any time! And a greatful Thank You!

The styling, the power, the capability and the ease of install demonstrate that NetGear remains one of the leading producers of this type world wide, and it is through their tester programs - then actually listening to what is said - that demonstrates what was said.

You and your colleague's efforts are certainly appreciated by us retail customers. Thank you!
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Thank you for your awesomely kind words, feedback like that makes all the testing worthwhile!!

For this router, OMG!, we tested SO MANY things for months, MUCH longer than any other beta ever! We even set many internal records for feedback submitted, discussions, ect. due to how long we were testing everything.

Did you know you can join the beta testing as well? If you have some free time to spare to dedicate to testing, and would be willing to test beta products, you should jump on board! If you want a link to join let me know!

It's a selection process for each test, you have to apply to each offered beta and then wait to see if you fit what they need. But they do offer a lot of beta's usually, so your chances are often good that you'll get selected for something from time to time!
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Kind words - no; accurate and well deserved - YES!

While being part of the Beta Testing effort would be OUTSTANDING; I'm going to have to pass right now.

There may be time, however, the risk of work-interruption is to high. As a work-from-home type person, I can't afford (especially in today's world) to have interruptions beyond my normal ISP type (about once every 60days).

Also, while it would be great, I'm not sure my activity mix would test the device as it should be. I use it primarily for company router connection, QoS priority changes, and home support/home device backup/home entertainment (no DLNA).

The one area I could probably contrubute is a harsher environment than ideal. My office gets hot as well as a number of other factors.

Again, your help, your devotion to the testing effort, and your excellent support is really appreciated.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

FalconV is on a distinguished road

In response to your "advanced mode" - officially, anything "advanced" would be in the Web GUI under the "Advanced" settings tab. That said, unofficially there is a utility out there you can run in Windows with some information from your router (IP address and MAC address) that will enable Telnet access. Then you can use a telnet client to connect to your router and access it in a linux-like environment (BusyBox if you're familiar with it).

This is unsupported, and for all I know may void your warranty so you may want to check before doing this. I can tell you I've used it to modify my Samba (Windows File) shares and some DHCP settings with options not available in the Web GUI; it works nicely.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlow54 View Post
Kind words - no; accurate and well deserved - YES!

While being part of the Beta Testing effort would be OUTSTANDING; I'm going to have to pass right now.

There may be time, however, the risk of work-interruption is to high. As a work-from-home type person, I can't afford (especially in today's world) to have interruptions beyond my normal ISP type (about once every 60days).

Also, while it would be great, I'm not sure my activity mix would test the device as it should be. I use it primarily for company router connection, QoS priority changes, and home support/home device backup/home entertainment (no DLNA).

The one area I could probably contrubute is a harsher environment than ideal. My office gets hot as well as a number of other factors.

Again, your help, your devotion to the testing effort, and your excellent support is really appreciated.
I fully understand what you mean! You could join, and sign up only when it looks like something you could test, or whenever you think you might have time. It's not something you have to do each time a beta is offered, and you can be a member and not test anything for years, they wont boot you.

Downtime wouldn't really be an issue, only when you planned it for testing, like having to upgrade firmware or test something specifically offline, ect. I mean, during a test you would not be disconnected for any extended period unless you wanted to be, the hardware always works and we just look for bugs using all scenarios we can possibly think of, try to replicate issues others find, ect. No downtime like it sounds you may be expecting.

And actually, your environment may even be a desired situation they need more of for testing, so don't think that would limit you as I'm sure they need testers like that in order to cover all possible hardware environments!

And again, I do understand what you mean with your situation and work, just wanted to let you know it's not as bad as you might be thinking Plus you would be able to play with the latest and greatest, and be in touch with many networking professionals as well.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to push you into testing or anything like that , just wanted to let you know it was out there and easily accessible in case you were unaware of how to join in the fun