Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Infallible is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phone not Connecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
Firstly, let me say that I don't have an Android version 2.3.4 device.

However, I just bought an Android tablet that is on 4.03. What I've discovered is you must delete/"forget" the profile you had previously created when you connected by simply scanning and connecting to it.

You must then manually enter a new Wifi network to connect to on your phone while the SSID is hidden. After that it should automatically connect.

Caveat: I have tested this in Android 4.03 and I'm not sure about version 2.3.4
Yes, that is exactly what I have been doing. That is how I have to add it.

Basically, it is connected. It shows it's connected too. It just doesn't DO anything. It's like...I don't know. Maybe guest or school wifi.
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phone not Connecting?

I have the WNDR3400 (same as yours I believe) and I'm using an Acer Iconia A100 tablet with Android 4.0.3 (ICS) and don't have any problems connecting and using the internet.

Forgive me if I may seem to be repeating things but I just want to be sure about the facts. So you are saying that:
1. You have deleted all wifi profiles on your phone that you may have created by just scanning and connecting to your network.

2. Next, you used the phone's function to "create a new wifi network profile" to connect to.
Provided you used the same SSID and encryption method that matches the one in the router (e.g. WPA2-AES) then it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible View Post
It just doesn't DO anything. It's like...I don't know. Maybe guest or school wifi.
BTW, saying something like that doesn't really provide any meaningful information that can help in diagnosing the problem. You need to provide information like answers to the following:
1. Can you open a browser?
2. What happens if you enter a search in the browser.
3. What message(s) do you get.
Etc.
Etc.
Some suggestions on things you can try:
1. Enable broadcasting of the SSID with security/encryption still set in the router. Check to see if your phone connects then.
2. If the phone still doesn't connect, temporarily disable the security/encryption in the router. Check to see if your phone can connect again.
Steps like these can help you to determine if you phone's OS has a problem dealing with SSIDs that are hidden or if it has a problem handling the type of encryption that the router uses or it's an incompatibility issue.

Having said all that, this seems to be a problem with the Android OS on your phone rather than the router. You may find better help for that either on a forum for your phone or one for Android. Here's one such forum for Android:
http://androidforums.com/
If you search the internet you can find several more like that.