Old November 29th, 2012, 06:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

tacoyac is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3400 - Printer - USB vs. Ethernet

Is there an advantage to attaching a printer to a WNDR3400 home network via USB over Ethernet? Thanks.
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR3400 - Printer - USB vs. Ethernet

Quote:
...via USB over Ethernet?
Which is it? Besides which, I don't think the WNDR3400v2 supports a printer on the USB port. Please check the manual as you are warned by the manufacturer not to connect anything other than what is recommended. Connecting anything not recommended could lead to damage (on either or both ends) and you most likely void your warranties too.

If you do have a printer that has an ethernet port, you can connect it to one of the LAN ports of the router. Not all printers have an ethernet port though.
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

tacoyac is on a distinguished road

Thanks, though I think USB would work with ReadyShare (http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx) - it states there that: "Wirelessly print from your home network to a connected USB printer" and the first step in the instructions is: "Connect the USB printer to the router’s USB port with a USB printer cable."

I've already set it up via Ethernet, and that works fine. However, I think that if I want to use NetGear to make my non-AirPrint printer AirPrint-ready, then I need to run it via USB. I have not tried it yet - just wondering if I will face other issues and if I'm understanding it all correctly.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:30 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

3400 does not support. If you look netgear.com and search products. it does not.

readyshare has wrong info.

Anyway, Difference in two will be how simple it will be if you have network ready printer. You do NOT have to use any special way to connect.

Most network ready printer come with application/driver that install for you using device names to connect and also you can use "standard tcp/ip ports" with static IP for alternative setups.

When you have NON network ready printer and using USB to connect to printer server or Router supports printer for USB connection bring extra issues.

Not all printer will work and this is not router issues itself but driver that come with printer . AIA, MFP printer are one of typical printer that will give you grief. 3400 does not support printer but only USB HD but "if" you had router capable for printer then it's 50/50 wether works or not.

Now days network ready printer is cheap so replacing with wireless or ethernet ready printer will be more stable
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:25 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

There is NO advantage to using USB, in fact, if your printer has an ethernet port, you'll probably find it much simpler to use that.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM

PeterWL is on a distinguished road

Hard to believe that we're getting support from someone who can't write the English language.
Sad.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:12 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWL View Post
Hard to believe that we're getting support from someone who can't write the English language.
Sad.
You won't last in this forum if you are pissing someone off
You should be leaving the site or behave if you need help.