Old January 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM

aSteve641 is on a distinguished road
Default Netgear router configuration

I feel as if I'm having a blonde moment - at first I assumed that configuration would be trivial... but, now, as I try to do so in practice - it's turning out to be much harder than I expected. Any hints tips/tricks welcome.

I've two rooms containing equipment - at opposite ends of a building. There's an 80mbit ethernet-over-mains link between them. In "location A", I've a Netgear DG834g - which acts as a NAT/firewall. Connected to this, by Ethernet, is a SmartTV, and an ethernet-over-mains adaptor. In "location B" there's a netgear router (which has been flashed with DD-WRT... for historic reasons.) Its uplink is connected to the second ethernet-over-mains adaptor... and there are further connections for a "desktop" and "server" designated PCs. The server runs minidlna - serving music and video.

Unsurprisingly, the SmartTV can't find the server - as, while they've all be configured to reside on the same subnet - the ADSL router assumes that all traffic that is not destined for a directly attached device is destined to be routed over ADSL... it is blissfully unaware that I've another LAN accessible from the second router.

My question: What's the cheapest/quickest/easiest way to solve this? (I'd prefer to stick to wired connections rather than try and connect the TV to the second router wirelessly...)
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:23 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Netgear router configuration

setup 2nd unit a access point
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM

aSteve641 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
This is (almost exactly) the configuration I already have... the only difference is that my router and modem are a combined unit.

This configuration does allow me to access the internet from every port on both the modem/router and the access point. All the devices connected to the access point can communicate. Unfortunately, devices attached directly to the modem/router can't address my server attached to the access point.

The more I think about this, I suspect it is an inherent limitation of the Netgear DG834g adsl-modem/router... which routes everything to an address other that of directly attached devices to the internet.

I guess one strategy may involve port-mapping on the "access point" router - so my DLNA server appears to be present as a service on the router, as opposed to the server attached to it, and that should mean that other devices, like the "access point" router, directly attached to the modem/router should be able to see it.

Time to read some howtos. :-S
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:55 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Setup concept still same so combo unit will able to setup as AP