Old January 14th, 2013, 03:50 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

zorglubxx is on a distinguished road
Default Bridging WAN+LAN+WIFI

Hi,

I have an existing LAN in my house (192.168.2.x). I want that the clients connecting via Wifi on my R6300 also get IP addresses in the same segment (192.168.2.x).

I finally got it to work but it has been extremely tricky to get setup. I had to set the R6300 WAN to use 192.168.3.x while the inside R6300 LAN and Wifi to 192.168.2.x. And then connect a cable from my main LAN router to one of the LAN ports on the R6300.

However there are two things that do not work anymore:

1) I can't access the R6300 web UI when it is like this. I have to connect a cable from my main router to the WAN port port of the R6300 temporarily.

2) The guest network functionality does not work. Probably because I told it that there should not be any connection between guest and main LAN but the router is only connected by LAN port.

I wish there was a way to easily do this in the R6300. Maybe in a future firmware version?

Thank you
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:42 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bridging WAN+LAN+WIFI

The golden rule for consumer networks is one network, one router - break it at your own risk.

If you have an existing network you wish to expand wirelessly, the correct device to use is a wireless access point - alternatively - you can replace the router in the existing network with w wireless router - OR - you can add a wireless router configured to function as an access point.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

You may want to use unit like guest gate. You can easier to control guest

Guest on. R6300 should isolate from the primary LAN so should not worried about it if you use normal setup with cable and r6300
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
The golden rule for consumer networks is one network, one router - break it at your own risk.

If you have an existing network you wish to expand wirelessly, the correct device to use is a wireless access point - alternatively - you can replace the router in the existing network with w wireless router - OR - you can add a wireless router configured to function as an access point.
Good point. I bought the R6300 because it seemed be the best and fastest that Netgear had to offer and wanted to future proof myself. Do you know if it is possible to configure it as an access point? Sounds like exactly what I need.

I am not replacing my main router, it's a Peplink Balance 390 load balancing two internet connections.

Thanks
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Good point. I bought the R6300 because it seemed be the best and fastest that Netgear had to offer and wanted to future proof myself. Do you know if it is possible to configure it as an access point? Sounds like exactly what I need.
you can use AP mode in the router but you also like to loose all the firewall feature.

Quote:
I am not replacing my main router, it's a Peplink Balance 390 load balancing two internet connections.

maybe you should add some vlan and multipe AP instead or use device like guest gate(guestgate.com) and you can plug-n-play to give your clients in no time
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Mark_K is on a distinguished road

Do peplink and guest gate support 5ghtz band
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
Do peplink and guest gate support 5ghtz band
Not sure, I am not using the Peplink wireless products.
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ok, after some more Googling I found the AP mode of the R6300 hidden away under Advanced > Wireless Settings. There should be a FAQ for this somewhere

I am now using the AP mode and it does everything I wanted so cheers for that. Any idea what the bridge mode does? Is that to connect two R6300 in a point to point fashion?
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:28 PM

bridge is wireless connecting two which you do not want to use and it is not your setup with your load balancing router you have already.

AP mode the what you want..