Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11ac Routers > R6300 - AC1750

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM
NETGEAR User

dhester is on a distinguished road
Default Fix for R6300 problems

I have found a fix for the numerous problems with the R6300. There is a cost but I think it is worth it.

The answer is to buy a TP-link TL_WR1042ND it costs a fifth of the R6300 but everything works, address reservation, port forwarding, usb storage, and the performance is fantastic. Only downside is the wireless is only 300mbs but as the only wireless devices that I connect to it are smartphones and ipods and this old laptop not a problem.

It cost me 39.99 against the R6300 which was 180.00 my regret is that I got the R6300 in the first place.
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

csm746 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fix for R6300 problems

It is unfortunate that so many have encountered significant problems with this router. Mine has been on line since June of 2012 with no real issues. I run port-forwarding, DDNS, WPA-2 Personal, multiple devices connected to both bands and I have consistently pulled 100mbs through a Charter broadband. I do not play with Genie and go direct to the interface, but all has been good and fast.
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:13 PM
NETGEAR User

bananaman is on a distinguished road

I agree! 4 months with the R6300. Faster, more stable, longer range wireless than the year-old Linksys it replaced. Using port forwarding, address reservation, about 30 devices on the network, no issues. Just how I like it!
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:27 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Alter is on a distinguished road

I've had the R6300 for a few months and have had no problems with its performance at all.
I agree with csm746 and don't use the Genie at all. I have it disabled at startup and go into the router interface using http://192.168.1.1/start.htm.
IMO the Genie is just more eye appealing than the routers interface and the base to some of the problems I've read in these forums.
I had the wireless dropping with the genie running and once I figured out it was the problem I haven't used it since and haven't had no wireless drops.
I'm nothing but Happy Happy Happy with the R6300 media server into my PS3 upstairs to stream my downloaded movies and TV shows.
I've assigned IP's to all our devices and the QoS works like a hot damn in corraling some of the bandwidth hogging devices and saving my sanity.
The only real con I have is that when you move stuff in and out of the hardrive connected to the 6300 you get "null" folders and duplicate names that are corrupt files and you have to shut off the drive and reindex it inwhich takes too long (30 minutes for 300 gigs).
After making changes in the router (ie QoS), in some cases you have to hit "Apply" up to 3 times on different pages and once you get the blue lines page your changes will stick. I think a lot of others don't get up to the blue lines page and don't hit apply enough times and then post that their changes aren't sticking and why.

Old January 18th, 2013, 12:54 PM

btucker2003 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone mind walking a noob though setting up individual ips etc. for the devices on the network? I have roughly 12 devices using the wireless and Im starting to get the "high traffic" signal, and its not as snappy as it was when I first set up the router. TIA!
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I went into routers attatched devices and jotted down the Mac addys for all the devices and/or found the macs of all the devices I was going to assign a IP too. Jotted down what device was coming out of what LAN port in the back of the router. There is no better memory than a pen and paper.

Assign IP.......
-Advanced>>Lan Setup and on the bottom you click Add
-add the last 2 numbers like 02, 03, ect ect
-enter the MAC addy of the device your going to assign
- add a name to the device "My IPhone"
- click add then apply and keep applying until you get to the page with the blue lines going across applying the changes.
Do that for all the rest of the devices.

QoS....
Advanced>>Setup>>>QoS Setup
-on the bottom "Add Priority Rule"
QoS Policy for---Name of your device
Priority Category----drop down menu
-Either click "Lan Port" or MAC Address

Lan port will be automatic cause its one of the 4 ports in back of the router and you can add your name to "LAN Port"
Select LAN Port from drop down menu (1,2,3,4)
or enter MAC addy of the specific device into the boxes and Device Name again
-Select Highest, High, Normal, Low for that perticular device
Leave the "Applications" box alone

Click Apply for each change and if I'm not mistaken you have to go through 3 pages before you get to the blue lines applying settings
I went through the entire song and dance for each device before going onto the next device I wanted to do.
Reboot Router when all finished and reboot each device to make sure it picked up my assigned address.
I hope this helps you out.
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Mark_K is on a distinguished road

Whats the advantage of assigning IPA's to device rather ten auto assing?
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
Whats the advantage of assigning IPA's to device rather ten auto assing?
Bump?..........
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

You could type for hours explaining that what it does is give a permanent address to a device you use regularly. IMO its more getting and keeping all your ducks in a row with all the devices you use nowdays.

Something to read on IP Reservations
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...servations.htm
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the link.

The only reason I would do it is if I could grantee a speed priority to selected IP Addresses.