Old January 24th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Mark_K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: r6300v2

I am very serious when I ask:

What about us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is B.S.!

Never again........
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Cybercare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
I am very serious when I ask:

What about us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is B.S.!

Never again........

What does "what about us" mean? Are you talking about the original R6300?

These two devices had different people working on them for the most part.
That said those under warranty on the original one will continue to have warranty.
Any major bugs or issues found can also still be reported for them to be fixed.

Just because a new product comes out does not mean the old one will be ignored. Often times a bug in one product can lead to fixing similar in another.

That said these two routers have different CPU architects even so are tracked and handled separately still, at least for the moment.

You also won't see day/night performance difference. It is more of just making the device more efficient and smaller though it does have a slight performance increase.

That said if you're happy with your current R6300 what's it matter. Technology will always be fast paced, and 802.11ac is still an changing spec so expect to see many different devices changed over the next year.
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

madhatter is on a distinguished road

it could end up that the v1 is the preferred router... like the wndr3700
2xWNDR3400 N600 V1 - V1.0.0.50_20.0.59 running faithfully in a crowded apt building
2xWNDR3300 N600 V1 - V1.0.45 over 2 years since reboot
3xWRT54G/GS - DD-WRT what can you say about the legendary WRT54
DIR-615 vC1 3.13NA - great little router
DIR-655 vA3 1.37NA - RETIRED never worked right with OOMA
EDIMAX EW-7416APn v2 1.13
all NETGEARS are factory recertified except 1xWNDR3400

HOW TO: My router firmware upgrade instructions:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=81662

HOW TO: Reinstall the firmware on a router without the setup CD recovery tool
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/~/reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the-setup-cd-recovery-tool

HOW TO: Extend AP on separate LAN
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=91427
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

This R6300 hasnít been out for a year yet.

It has been horribly buggy and slow as in not up to advertised speeds.
If this new aka better, aka non beta R6300, aka ready for prime time unit is faster than the R6300v1 we have now Iím going to be pissed.

"THAT SAID", if it is faster and signal penetration is better, I will sell my old (ha, ha) one and get this new (ha ha again) one.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Cybercare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
This R6300 hasnít been out for a year yet.

It has been horribly buggy and slow as in not up to advertised speeds.
If this new aka better, aka non beta R6300, aka ready for prime time unit is faster than the R6300v1 we have now Iím going to be pissed.

"THAT SAID", if it is faster and signal penetration is better, I will sell my old (ha, ha) one and get this new (ha ha again) one.
Not sure I can agree on the horribly buggy part. I was part of the original team for the first and second one.

During the beta process the R6300 had issues but the majority of them are corrected. Performance wise, I have had 0 issues. When pared with another 802.11ac device I am able to get great performance. One thing you need to keep in mind is ALL wifi has roughly 40-50% overhead. Just because they say 1.3Gbps doesn't mean that is what you get. Actual performance you will always see about half of the connection rate and this is true with ANY wifi device.

That said, any bugs you are having you should file a report for so it can be fixed.

Many people are using this device without any problems. It could be something else in your setup or your environment or simply you have a defective device which happens.

That said as I said the performance of the v2 will not be significantly better vs the original but it will be a little. Remember, 802.11ac is new and regardless it is not going to be perfect. This is the disadvantage of wanting to be on the leading edge. Until the spec is final it WILL have bugs or issues, just as 802.11n did when it was new and 802.11g when it was new...
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

madhatter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercare View Post
Not sure I can agree on the horribly buggy part.
I agree, I have 6 netgear routers, one is an r6300 I use in my home with 37 devices attached and it's very stable with the latest firmware. If you are having problems follow these steps:

Firmware upgrade steps...

follow the instructions:

To Install

Note: Do not upgrade the firmware using a wireless connection. Please perform firmware upgrade with "wired" or Ethernet connection only.

Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you will need to reenter them manually.

Download and UNZIP the firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop:

http://netgeardownload.registria.com...ration?product[sku]=r6300&download_url=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300-V1.0.2.38_1.0.33.zip

select "continue without registering" and download the latest firmware. Unzip the firmware.

Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Backup Settings: backup up your settings so you can recover them later if needed
Click REVERT TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS

Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade: Click Browse and find the firmware file you just downloaded and unzipped.

Click UPLOAD: Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

After the upload is complete, wait another 60 seconds.

Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Backup Settings
Click REVERT TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS

Rekey any configuration changes you may have made.

Power off the router, wait 60 seconds, power router back on.

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and blinking, power cycle the router. Wait 60 seconds after the upgrade progress bar says it's complete to actually finish the upgrade process.

2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn't display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade. After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.

Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.

Wait 60 seconds after you "think" the upgrade has completed before making any changes or accessing the internet. This will allow any internal software updating to complete.

Then go to QOS settings and make sure Enable WMM is checked.

Under Wireless Settings
-I have selected channel 157 but you may need a different channel
-I have "Up To 1300mbs" selected
-Use WPA2-PSK(AES)
-and Enable SSID broadcast

under Advanced Wireless Settings
-Make sure you are using Long Preamble and that your adapter is either set for LP or Auto

Below WPS Settings
-make sure Perfornance Boost is checked

After making these changes, test to see if your problem(s) have been resolved. If they have you can now make selective changes to these settings.
2xWNDR3400 N600 V1 - V1.0.0.50_20.0.59 running faithfully in a crowded apt building
2xWNDR3300 N600 V1 - V1.0.45 over 2 years since reboot
3xWRT54G/GS - DD-WRT what can you say about the legendary WRT54
DIR-615 vC1 3.13NA - great little router
DIR-655 vA3 1.37NA - RETIRED never worked right with OOMA
EDIMAX EW-7416APn v2 1.13
all NETGEARS are factory recertified except 1xWNDR3400

HOW TO: My router firmware upgrade instructions:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=81662

HOW TO: Reinstall the firmware on a router without the setup CD recovery tool
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/~/reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the-setup-cd-recovery-tool

HOW TO: Extend AP on separate LAN
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=91427
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:33 AM

GoremanX is on a distinguished road

Apparently it's all about being "first to market" with the latest and greatest. Nevermind having a consumer-ready product.
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoremanX View Post
Apparently it's all about being "first to market" with the latest and greatest. Nevermind having a consumer-ready product.
Thank you that's my point.

The unit is working fine for me now......
Fine meaning I donít drop connections like some other people and it stays steady at 585 Mpbs.

I was hoping for faster signal using the R6300 and A6200.

Donít fret I'm still a fan boy.

I looking forward to USB 3.0 (for both R6300v2 & A6200), better penatration and faster connections.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

peshko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoremanX View Post
Right on the spot!

Here is the most PATHETIC part. On the main Netgear page it still has a link to the announcement of the "Industry First ac router". The later point is what makes us look like small mice in the Netgear's underground lab. It's what makes us look dumb in front of the world - and not only be used and abused, but frankly, we all are paying dear price to acquire the router. And using that revenue they make something that is suppose to be nicer and better - released a few months later. That is the simple truth. Netgear does not care about you and me - the loyal customers! They care about their investors and their margins! They care how to make money for their executives!

What I read in the post by the fellow Netgear sympathizers UNDER NDA, frankly is full of trash. How frequently a HW update of the same model is released in the IT world? Give me a break. If you guys are releasing it that fast, it proves the point that you rushed v1 to cover the headlines as "Industry First ac router" and going back to my point up. The fact that ever since R6300 was announced, you released 7 FW updates, shows that you did zero Beta testing.....or if you did, your head of Product Development needs to be fired on the disable IGMP proxying... My old 3700 didn't have the issue when IGMP was on, but started failing couple of months after the warranty expired. The second router that does that to me. And the simple answer from Netgear - tough luck buddy! You are screwed!

Technical Support at Netgear is absolutely preposterous!

You guys need to admit that you made a mistake with the first one. I know you will never be able to fix your disasters - you will simply create band-aids until you get tired of it and simply ignore any further complains. I know you will never issue recall of any kind. But for the sake of all of us...have some dignity and admit your v1 had some serious problems, that could not be resolved by the next 39284632789th firmware in the past few months. Say it was a complete garbage, not a prime time ready and simply apologize. That ought to do it for all of us.
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

randomuser555 is on a distinguished road

I don't see an isssue here. Companies normally start working on a product immediately following the release of the last one. For all I know, it could not come out until late this year. So wait until they actually release it before you complain. And unless you really want a lighter device with a minor speed boost and usb 3.0, you have no reason to worry.