Old March 17th, 2013, 07:43 AM

TomSamuel is on a distinguished road
Default Cannot connect WN3000RP

Having done minimal research, I bought a WN3000RP wifi repeater. I am failing at the first hurdle of installation and wonder if anyone can help me.

My PC is connected via an Ethernet cable to a NetGear wireless router. This is my "bridge" to the wireless world (there is no wifi card in the PC). Because of this, I cannot view any wireless devices on my PC (it doesn't understand there is a wifi network at all, just sees a single LAN connection to the router).

Therefore the very first instruction to use a wireless network manager to connect to the repeater can't possibly work, any more than I could "see" the printer, iPad etc.

Please can someone who understand these thing help me!
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:42 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

PigVomit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cannot connect WN3000RP

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't understand your setup at all.

It would help for you to describe exactly what you are trying to accomplish and with what equipment you are trying to do it with. Something like "the router is connected to a modem. My PC is connected to the LAN port of the router. I'm trying to use an extender to connect to the router, and I will be connecting a printer to the extender." Something like that.

You don't need a wifi card in your PC to set up the extender. Read the manual, or view some of my other posts, one of which covers setup a little easier than the manual does (do a search).
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:30 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, and apologies for the general amateurism!

Following your format...

The router is connected to a modem. My PC is connected to the LAN port of the router. I'm trying to use an extender (WN3000RP) to connect to the router, and I will be connecting various mobile devices (principally an iPad) to the extender).

As far as I can tell, there is no mechanism for me to see devices which are interacting with my router, on my PC (eg NetworkPlaces). Therefore I cannot "talk" to the extender to set it up.

I expect you have covered this somewhere but to the uninitiated there are so many posts/threads/etc on the forum that I gave up hope when searching. All help gratefully received.
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Unplug your router from your PC. Plug the extender into a power source near the PC. Connect a Cat5 networking cable between the input on the extender and your network input on the PC. If the PC doesn't adequately see/connect to the extender, reboot the PC, then it should see it.

Open your browser. It *should* automatically direct you to the login page for the extender. If it doesn't, open the browser, and use "mywifiext.net" as the address. You should be able to get through the setup process. Here are the instructions when you get to the login page:

It should prompt you for a User Name ("admin", all lowercase) and Password ("password", all lowercase). If you are using Internet Explorer and it seems to hang, then use either Chrome or Firefox.

It should then start the setup wizard. The first step involves selecting your network and inputting your network password.

It is very important that the first thing you do after setting up is making sure you have the most current firmware available, as earlier versions of the firmware (which may still come with your extender) sucked.

Also....be aware that when you get to the step in the setup process where everything should be finished, your browser may hang. If this happens, use another browser. I use Chrome.

Post back and let me know how it went.
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I forgot to add....

After you finished the setup on the extender, disconnect it from your PC and move it to wherever you want it to be, making sure that the far right light is not red (green is best, but orange will usually still get you a connection, although it may drop). Plug it back in in its final location, then you should be able to connect to it with the other devices.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Smile Re: Cannot connect WN3000RP

PigVomit,

Many thanks for your posts. I've been away so have only just tried your advice and am delighted to say that all is now working well! My first use of this type of forum has been an excellent experience.

Tom
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:32 AM

dufeua is on a distinguished road

W7 - I have s imilar probelm. I can connect to the router and the internet. I can connect to the EXE but NOT the internet.The extender is listed on 'the wireless access list' of the router. I have been through the troubleshooting without success. I was obviously successful with the set up via the login page. I could nto see any function to allow firmware upgade. How do you upgrade the firmware? Any ideas why the extender will not connect to the internet please ?