Old April 8th, 2013, 08:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

slicksds is on a distinguished road
Default Speed drops by 50% with WNDR3800 wireless

Just had SureWest 30Mbps service installed and tech assured me all his installations test at 29+ Mbps. Got everything fire up (the supplied the Netgear WNDR3800 Router) and speed was about 17Mbps Down and surprising, just a touch faster Up. He was quite surprised, so we hooked several computers to the router directly with Ethernet and they all tested 29+ Up and Down. We again tried several computers Windows 8 Laptop, MacBook Pro, iPhone 5 and they all were about 50% lower using wireless. We even tried hooking up a Linksys router with the same result. I have unplugged all wireless devices (alarm, cordless phones, etc.) but it makes no difference. We also don't get much range. Obviously something is interfering, but this is a dramatic difference. A further complication is SureWest won't provide the router password to allow me to check settings. Any ideas on what to do?
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:05 AM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Speed drops by 50% with WNDR3800 wireless

What is the connection speed as reported by the OS? Make sure you are using WPA2-AES encryption. Try disabling WMM and try.
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:23 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

Sounds like max rate is set to 54
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:30 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Any wireless mode at 20Mhz (upto 145Mbps) runs in single channel so you will see half duplex speed.

I would check your wireless mode settings in the router and also the wifi devices is connected. Wireless mode can be at 300Mbps (40Mhz/Dual channel) yet wifi devices still may connected at lower Mbps less than 145Mbps which falls to single channel and causes the speed results you seeing
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you very much for the quick replies. I have found the problem thanks to your suggestions.

When trying to check on the speed configuration as suggested, I discovered my HP Envy m6-1125dx notebook has a Ralink RT5390R wireless adaptor that apparently does not support dual band! Who knew that HP saves a couple of bucks in this way? The Ralink adapter is indeed maxed at 54 and can go no faster. Very disappointing. I have done some research that indicates the notebook will support an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 P/N 670691-001. To add more complication, this is apparently not the correct P/N and some sources claim it is actually supposed to be P/N 636672-001 described as Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 half-MiniCard - 802.11B/G/N (Most of World).

Don't know if I have the nerve to order and try this. Any thoughts?
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:20 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksds View Post
A further complication is SureWest won't provide the router password to allow me to check settings. Any ideas on what to do?
If the ISP supplied the router you have no choice but to work with them since it's "branded". Not providing the router's password is strange though. It may their way of preventing users from fooling around with the settings.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

That's exactly what it is. The installation tech said they don't want any changes made or customers calling to find out how to get into the router if they have forgotten their password. I'm not real comfortable with the tech and all the customer service people, etc. having access to my router though. You never know when an employee turns into a disgruntled employee...
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM

I would consult HP support for compatiity

If laptop uses half mini pci then should work.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksds View Post
That's exactly what it is. The installation tech said they don't want any changes made or customers calling to find out how to get into the router if they have forgotten their password. I'm not real comfortable with the tech and all the customer service people, etc. having access to my router though. You never know when an employee turns into a disgruntled employee...
Most ISP will give customer with user/pass but if your ISP wont then I guess you live with it or time to move on
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

That's exactly what I will do. I assume if the card is available, it will cost as much as a new notebook. Maybe I will have my internet provisioned for the available 18Mbps service since that seems to be the max speed my wireless can handle. It doesn't make sense to pay for something I can't use.