Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Storage, Entertainment, Print Servers & VOIP Devices > Multimedia Entertainment Devices > EVA8000 Forum

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

cjuneau is on a distinguished road
Question Choppy Video

A friend of mine recently purchased an EVA8000 and I was so impressed I went out and bought one myself. Setup and configuration was a breeze. I setup the wireless connection and was in business. After streaming my first video I noticed that the video seemed to skip a frame about every 5-10 seconds. Audio was seamless but the choppy video was quite irritating. So I figured streaming the video via wireless was the problem since I am using an antiquated 802.11b Access Point. I decided to run CAT5e from my router to my EVA8000 and solve all my problems. NOT. Itís still doing the same thing. Then I decided to hookup my USB storage device directly to the EVA8000 and see if that would do the trick. NOT AGAIN. No matter what source I use it still does the same thing. Everything else works wonderfully I might add.

My current configuration is a 32Ē Viewsonic LCD TV hooked up to my EVA8000 via Component Video (the one with the 3 cables; I canít ever remember which is which). I have tried all the different resolutions, they all present the same problem. I have downloaded and installed the latest firmware and software versions. The last step I took was installing the latest beta version firmware and installing it; still to no avail. My next step will be to purchase a HDMI cable to see if that does the trick.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I have seen my friends EVA8000 in operation, and he has no video problems whatsoever. The only difference in his setup is that he is using a HDMI cable. If anyone has any fixes or suggestions about this please let me know. Iíll let you know how the new cable works out.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:17 AM
NETGEAR Addict

ScholarWarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Choppy Video

Some DivX files encoded with older divx codecs exhibit a symptom similar to what you describe. Can you provide info on the videos that have this issue?

You can use gspot (http://gspot.headbands.com/) or mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en)
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Question Re: Choppy Video

Well my HDMI cable did not fix the problem. I have tried several video files to no avial.

Here is some info on one of my videos:

Frame Rate: 23 fps
Date Rate: 138kbps
Sample Size: 12 bit
Compression: XVID
Format: AVI

Is there any way I can manually configure any video settings?

I also noticed that the EVA8000 is showing a transfer rate of only 20mbps. I have it connected via Cat5e. Can I change that or is it capped at only 20mbps?

Thanks,
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Ian_F is on a distinguished road

Please don't think I'm interfering here but is there any chance of trying to view the same files on your friendís setup? Might provide useful info.
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Your not interfering at all. Thanks for the input. Although, I did try that and the same files work on his box. Maybe it's a setting on my TV or something. I'll keep this post updated if I find a fix. I appreciate any comments you guys have.
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
NETGEAR Expert

v35_pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjuneau View Post
A friend of mine recently purchased an EVA8000 and I was so impressed I went out and bought one myself. Setup and configuration was a breeze. I setup the wireless connection and was in business. After streaming my first video I noticed that the video seemed to skip a frame about every 5-10 seconds. Audio was seamless but the choppy video was quite irritating.
I had this exact issue with a specific series of DiVX AVIs and after some experimenting discovered that it was, in fact, due to the files' codec, not the unit.

In your case are the files you are testing related (as in, all from the same TV series) in content or perhaps creation method or are they completely unrelated?
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Your not interfering at all. Thanks for the input. Although, I did try that and the same files work on his box. Maybe it's a setting on my TV or something. I'll keep this post updated if I find a fix. I appreciate any comments you guys have.
My "interfering" comment was more aimed at ScholarWarrior since he knows I don't even own an EVA8000 yet (they're not yet available in my country)

But whilst he's off helping someone else .......since you've proved it's not an inherent problem with your source files, or your network, it could be a firmware problem. Are you running the same version as your friend? You said you're running the latest build but is he too? I guess it could be your tv (unlikely) but you can easily prove that by taking another trip round to your mates.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_F View Post
I guess it could be your tv (unlikely) but you can easily prove that by taking another trip round to your mates.

Sorry, just to be clear, take the player round there, not your TV!
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
NETGEAR Addict

ScholarWarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here is some info on one of my videos:

Frame Rate: 23 fps
Date Rate: 138kbps
Sample Size: 12 bit
Compression: XVID
Format: AVI
Well, that's not enough info. You sure 138kbps is the video rate? In any event, see what version of the XVID codec is in there. Try gspot or mediainfo and post all the info.

Quote:
Is there any way I can manually configure any video settings?
Your only option is to convert the video to some other codec, and that's assuming the video plays smoothly on your PC with whatever codec pack you have installed there.

Quote:
I also noticed that the EVA8000 is showing a transfer rate of only 20mbps. I have it connected via Cat5e. Can I change that or is it capped at only 20mbps?
The network throughput is not limited, but the test script is designed to check for low throughput problems and doesn't have enough resolution to time throughput above 20MBps accurately, so it just shows >20Mbps. The actual max rate is around 60Mbps, but if you're getting >20Mbps and your video is 138Kbps, then we need to look elsewhere for the problem
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jucaso is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm in the process of evaluating the EVA8000 for purchase and so far so good. However, I would like for some one to be kind enough to verify that the unit will play Video_TS files (VOB) without any issues especially when streaming from a NAS. What about subtitles, FF, etc? Does it upscale from 480 to 720 providing that the hardware requirements are met?

I've read about some issues with the handling of such files when browsing. Especially, not been able to distinguish which file belongs to which movie.

Thanks in advance.