Old January 20th, 2014, 11:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ReVerie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy R7000 Wireless range issues

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone is having or had a great day!

Unfortunately for me, im not having such a good day. Just received my R7000 today and suffering from really poor range. I notice drop in wifi singal strength as soon as i walk out of my room then in my toilet, which is 3 steps away from my room, the wireless vanishes completely. This is true for both 2.4 & 5ghz connections. There something really strange about this room which is 2 steps away from the router, the moment i walk into this room, the wireless signal is showing only 1 bar as a signal strength and with the door shut, all the wireless connections disappears. Going downstairs, again its only about 10 small steps down, the devices show really poor connection strength for R7000.

I went through a lot of troubleshooting with the NetGear support but couldnt come to any conclusion apart from replacing the router.

We went through the following troubleshooting steps:

1. using SSinsider, chose channel 11 as the best channel - Did not make any difference
2. Tried channels 1 ,3, 6 and 9 anyways - Did not made any difference
3. Change the CTS/RTS values to 2034, notice SLIGHT improviement in signal strength but still poor.
4. Reflashed the router with the latest image again - made no difference
5. Disabled WMM for both 2.4 & 5GHz - made no difference

the router is placed on a chest high desk next to my monitor on 1st floor of my house. There are no other wireless deviecs that could interefere with it to severe level next to it.

Now the funny thing is, before this router, i purchased Linksys EA6700 which was also showing similar signal strength but the tech replaced it anyways after which i just sold it instead of trying the replacement to see if it resolved the issue. The only router which had solid signal on most of the places was my WRT610N. I know i made some settings on the WRT610N as well but it was a solid router in all areas for me but unfortunately it blew up so since then, i have been trying to find a router to match its performance and signal strength if not better.

R7000 is way more advance than WRT610N in many ways, i just find it so difficult to understand how can i have so many issues.

I really like this router and would like to keep if only i can get the signal strength improved somehow.

So, if someone has been having similar issue as me and knows a workaround then please please let me know as i want to keep this router. It'll be shame to ditch it because of its poor signal strength around my house, i just find it hard to believe that its the router that cant push the signal to my next room with the door shut
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: R7000 Wireless range issues

Seems 802.11AC on both linksys and Netgear behaves the same since WRT610N is dual band 802.11 N router

I would try bring down to 40Mhz and use 802.11N speed rather 80Mhz/ 1300Mbps (802.11ac)
Old January 20th, 2014, 01:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Tried, but still the same
Old January 20th, 2014, 01:44 PM
NETGEAR Expert

LeeH is on a distinguished road

Check your antennas. It is easy to break the pins when installing them if you turn the whole antenna instead of just the connectors. Unscrew the antennas and look at the pins to see if any are broken. You should be getting great power and range from this router.
Old January 20th, 2014, 05:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

This is the 3rd time ive checked the antennas and the pins are definitely intact, not damaged in any way.
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:11 PM

Have you try using 40Mhz /300Mbps setting in the router if that helps?
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, i selected 289mbps ( Only option close to 300) and unchecked "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" which is the only way to make it work in 40MHz also.
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:03 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

I would use INSSIDER to read and compare signals. I would expect to see -25 to -17 on 5g 15 feet away and -25 to -30 on 2.4. I would also expect your SSID to be at least 20db higher than others. Seven post into this and no word about the clients you're using. There isn't one setting you can change to improve signal strength that I recall, so default your router back to default settings so as not to cause another problem. I would relocate monitor just incase by chance it is causing a problem.

I would look into the construction of the walls not that it will help but might explain why. The walls may have a wired mesh like used for stucco. You had same problem with another router which would suggest materials in the walls or your clients.
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:43 AM

I would say contraction of the location maybe an more issues been two if router does the same results
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay View Post
I would use INSSIDER to read and compare signals. I would expect to see -25 to -17 on 5g 15 feet away and -25 to -30 on 2.4. I would also expect your SSID to be at least 20db higher than others. Seven post into this and no word about the clients you're using. There isn't one setting you can change to improve signal strength that I recall, so default your router back to default settings so as not to cause another problem. I would relocate monitor just incase by chance it is causing a problem.

I would look into the construction of the walls not that it will help but might explain why. The walls may have a wired mesh like used for stucco. You had same problem with another router which would suggest materials in the walls or your clients.
I said in my first post that i did also used INSSIDER with Netgear Tech to determine best channel and other stats. For clients, its mostly Windows 7 laptops, iPad/Phone.

I know there isnt one setting to improve signal strength, which is why i am here to ask you guys if there is any other setting which i/netgear tech might have missed that i can try.

In regards with the constructions of the walls, how was WRT610N was able to push good enough signal through these same walls, for the same clients?

Everything i just said above was already mentioned in my original post, so i suggest to read it again but if you still feel the need to get some more information from me then please ask me

thanks for all the replies so far but 3 days in, and i still have not had very strong suggestions in terms of settings. It will be really sad to return this router