Old February 12th, 2014, 06:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jmarkow1 is on a distinguished road
Default Change Password on N300 Router

This must be punishment for something I did in a past life; I have just spent the better part of a week fighting with Linksys/Belkin over a router, so I bought a Netgear N300 to allow the patrons in the library I work at to have wireless access. The username and password for said router are stamped on the bottom of the unit, so, logically, I would like to change at least the password so patrons can't just pick it up and find it. So, I went on the chat portion of the website where I was told that they would HAVE to call me to help me. I gave them my number and I got a call back right away, which was a plus, but now I'm being told that then need access to my PC so they can access the router to check for the problem. I explained that there is no problem, I just want to change the damned password, but the guy insists they must have access to check for corruption??? I don't have time nor inclination to let all and sundry into my network to poke around just to change one word.
All I want to do is make the password NOT BE PASSWORD. How hard can that possibly be??
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:30 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

wcalifas831 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Change Password on N300 Routher

Just go to the wireless settings, it should show the SSID which is the name of the broadcast name for the router which you can change. Below that should show security options for a password. Choose which security you want with your password, I personally normally choose WPA-PSK but choose whichever you want. Once you choose it you can enter a passphrase and that will be the password for your network, then click "Apply Settings" and it should be good to go.
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:17 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkow1 View Post
The username and password for said router are stamped on the bottom of the unit, so, logically, I would like to change at least the password so patrons can't just pick it up and find it. So, I went on the chat portion of the website where I was told that they would HAVE to call me to help me. I gave them my number and I got a call back right away, which was a plus, but now I'm being told that then need access to my PC so they can access the router to check for the problem.
You are quite right to refuse access to your PC. Support does not have to access your PC. That sounds very suspicious.

Since you should be providing an open network in the Library I don't suppose you want to password-protect it. I'm guessing the password you are referring to is the one to access the router's GUI to perform administrative functions. In that case:

1. Open a browser. (Use either Internet Explorer or Firefox for best compatibility).
2. Type 192.168.1.1, routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net in the Address Bar and hit Enter.
3. In the Login window type admin and password in the username and password fields and hit Enter.
4. When the router's GUI opens look in the left pane for something like Maintenance->Set Password.
5. Enter password for old password.
6. Enter the new password and repeat it.
7. Make sure to write down the password and keep it in a safe place.

Also, "Netgear N300" is not the model number. It should be something like WNDxxxx. You can go to http://support.netgear.com/for_home/default.aspx and download the User Manual for your router. You should find similar instructions in the manual.
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

wcalifas831,

I don't mean the wireless password; I mean the default password to access the modem

Last edited by Mars Mug; February 12th, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Joe_,

Thank you very much; I will follow your instructions as soon as I get to work tomorrow. It's model is WND2000v4 (I think) and I have looked at the manual but have not been able to find any instructions on changing the default access password. You are correct I have an open network in the library, but I don't want anyone to be able to get in and muck around with the settings.

Last edited by Mars Mug; February 12th, 2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:26 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
You are quite right to refuse access to your PC. Support does not have to access your PC. That sounds very suspicious.
If remote management is not enabled at the router (and by default it isnít) then there would be no way for support to access the router configuration. Access to the connected PC is usually achieved by running a small app or script which provides temporary remote control of the PC, and an easy way to access the router settings, the connection has to be activated by the local user. Usually there is an on-screen panel where the local user can terminate the session at any time.

My name is Andy.
Old February 13th, 2014, 05:58 AM
NETGEAR User

michaelkenward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkow1 View Post
Joe_,

Thank you very much; I will follow your instructions as soon as I get to work tomorrow.
That is the solution.

But remember to record the password somewhere so that anyone who has to manage the thing later can find it.

Just put a Postit note on the box if it is out of public reach.

If it does get forgotten, then a "factory reset" will restore it to the default password.
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Mars Mug,

I know how it's done; I just don't think it's necessary to do so to change a password, do you?

Last edited by Mars Mug; February 14th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:18 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Change Password on N300 Router

And now I get a phone call from the library telling me the wireless quit working. Whatever it was I did in that past life, Karma, enough is enough.
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I keep a file with all the network settings in a safe spot in case I get hit by a truck on my way in some morning. It's more than the admin before me did. I still have stuff I don't know the passwords to.