Old May 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

clowone is on a distinguished road
Angry WNR854T dead?

HI,

I am using this router for over 3 months now. This morning, after leaving my computer on to d/l some torrents, I got to my computer and it had no internet connection.

Sadly this happens a lot, only solution then is to unplug the router and plug it back in and voila we're back in business.

However this morning is different, i unplug/replug the router and it doesn't connect to internet (internet light stays orange) and there is NO connection to my PC (orange light). Wireless should also be on, NO blue light.

I tried resetting to factory default settings, taking it off power for +10 minutes. All to no avail. Anyone else have any suggestions????

I could barely live with the resetting, this "dead in the water" thing does it all however; the WNR854T is a very bad product.....
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:12 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR854T dead?

It could just be plain faulty, these things do happen. If you are able to measure the power supply voltage that might be worth a look. Otherwise contact tech-support if the router is still in warranty.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

clowone is on a distinguished road

Ok, but is there any other way to get it back online say force a firmware update?
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

donato3030 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowone View Post
HI,

I am using this router for over 3 months now. This morning, after leaving my computer on to d/l some torrents, I got to my computer and it had no internet connection.

Sadly this happens a lot, only solution then is to unplug the router and plug it back in and voila we're back in business.

However this morning is different, i unplug/replug the router and it doesn't connect to internet (internet light stays orange) and there is NO connection to my PC (orange light). Wireless should also be on, NO blue light.

I tried resetting to factory default settings, taking it off power for +10 minutes. All to no avail. Anyone else have any suggestions????

I could barely live with the resetting, this "dead in the water" thing does it all however; the WNR854T is a very bad product.....
Im having the same problem the exact same problem and now it dead and it keeps going to the wrong ip address
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

donato3030 is on a distinguished road

the same thing here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

VinceThe1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: WNR854T dead?

Hi, i'm new here and this is my 1st post. I also have a WNR854T and this same thing happend to me as well....1st off i was unable to set the thing up to save my life , all i got is that orange triangle that i hate seeing so much and nothing. Then i thought about trying to see if there is a new firmware, sure enough there was so i updated it ( Version 1.4.19 (for North America only)) and after a few more hours and resetting to factory settings as i have done many times before, i finally got it to work. I guess it needed that firmware to run with vista. Well it worked but it kept dropping the connection once in a while so i kept pulling the plug on it and back on and it was fina after about 15 seconds of rechecking w/e it rechecks. Well, one day, again, i tried leaving it to download a torrent, but i cudn't even get to the website b4 the connection dropped. I tried resetting it, but nothing, then i tried the factory setting reset, and still nothing, i tried no cables , with cables, everything but nothing has worked, i've left it with no power for a day and still same thing, it's like it's literally dead.

All it does when i turn it on, is show the green power button 1st like it always does, then it turns amber, and after a few seconds, if it's running fine the power light is supposed to go green again and the blue wireless light shud start blinking...but no, the power light never switches back to green and stays like that 4 ever....i've tried everything, i can't log onto it through my computer, factory settings don't work, nothing works....andybody have any ideas??? perhaps it's a hardware failure or cud it be a software fault?? eather way i just can't get it to work again..
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tdc953 is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: WNR854T dead?

I've seen a couple of outages in the past 24 hours. This is particularly annoying because I have VOIP gear attached to it.
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

VinceThe1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: WNR854T dead?

i posted a rather long post here on this thread about a week ago but i was told that the mods have to look at it b4 it shows up here and i guess it never made it and i really don't know why, i didn't use any profanities or offensive thoughts.....but anyways, long story short i'm in the exact same situation, the router's light powers on green for a few seconds when i plug it in, then it turns amber and it stays that way......i've tried everything from factory settings to leaving it a few days with no power, from cables in to no cables whatsoever, nothing has worked and as i see i'm not alone....i guess the WNR854T gigabit edition is a faulty product and i have yet to find time to call netgear support....but i will very soon
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:16 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

beisser is on a distinguished road

for some reason it got deleted... i undeleted it.
How to contact Techsupport online!
IPSEC-VPN, Tips and Tricks and Howto's
How to get proper access to the Enterprise-Forum!

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

EVA1: EVA9000 -> 32" Samsung LCD
EVA2: EVAx000 -> 32" Samsung LCD
NAS: ReadyNAS Pro RNDP6610
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sop1 is on a distinguished road

Add me to the list of dead WNR854T users. Mine has been working fine since 12/06 and only had one incident about a month ago where I had to reboot to renew the internet connection. Yesterday the unit was completely dark. When I reboot I only get the green light. No other activity. We will see how well the warranty works now.
Closed Thread