Old December 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jamesdean123 is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Router + Laptop, no desktop?

Hello,

I purchased a wireless router as well as a Inspiron E5105 laptop from dell and I have a cable modem. Can I hook the cable modem directly up the wireless router without having a desktop computer? Please explain how in detail. Also my preggo wife threw away my installation CD.
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jeffn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless Router + Laptop, no desktop?

Yes, no problem with using only a laptop. You do not need a desktop (wired) in to the router.

To set up the router initially it's easier (and sometimes needed, depending on the version of router) to have a cable between the computer (in your case the laptop) and the router.

Oh, and the cd is useless and can be thrown away anyway :P

Here is how to do a basic install. I am assuming that the router is pretty much in default config.

- connect a network cable between the modem and the internet port of the router.
- connect another network cable between the laptop and one of the LAN ports of the router.- Plug in power to the modem, router, computer, etc and power everything up. (generally modem, then router, then computer, but only the first few really matter and only in some cases, though it is a good idea to follow this basic pattern to be on the safe side)
- Open the web browser on the computer and go to http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1/ depending on the version of router you have.
- If prompted, enter the username "admin" and password "password". Click ok.
- Use the setup wizard to detect the internet connection. (Mostly works, sometimes not. If it doesn't, please refer to the below)
- Once you are online, go to the "wireless settings" menu item in the router.
- In the wireless settings menu item, set the SSID, region and security settings. The SSID is just a name "BobsNetwork" or the like.. Region explains itself.. Security: Choose WPA-PSK and type in a password, minimum 8 characters. Click apply.

Now, on your laptop, you will have a place where you can scan for and connect to a wireless network. I am not too familiar with the Dells, but from what I have seen in the past it uses Intel software. There should be some details that came with the laptop that says how to setup the network in the laptop. You will need to know the SSID and WPA settings from before.

Once the wireless connection is working, you can remove the cable between the router and laptop and start in your browsing.

------

If you don't have an internet connection due to the wizard not working, you can set the settings manually in basic settings. If you are not sure what settings to apply here, post details such as who is your ISP, what is the make and model of your modem, and what the wizard actually detects. We can go from there.
****************/
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jeff,

That's awesome man, thank you. I am going to try that tonight. If I don't get it working I will post what I get stuck on. Again, many thanks. I'm losing my hair over this damn thing....

Cheers,
Ryan
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Worked like a charm. It was done and less than 5 minutes. You da man.
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:48 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jeffn is on a distinguished road

I am happy it works for you
I know how annoying it is when something is not working.
****************/